Bevan 2018 Bordeaux Release

I was gifted a bottle of 2015 Bevan Calixtro Tench and 2014 Harbison. What is the Bevan style? I don’t know much about Napa and before these gifts I had exactly 1 bottle of Napa cab in my cellar that is a Corison mag I bought during a visit to the estate a few years ago. Are they in the big and bold style or more classic like Corison? I have seen a few tasting notes and seems like more on the big fruit side.

2 cases of dr Crane?

1 Like

Based on the ones that I’ve tasted, I’d say that Bevan cranks his wines up to an 11. When I’m in the mood for that style, they do the job well. I just cracked and bought two bottles of his 2018s (one Dr Crane and one Sugarloaf Mountain), to see what the fuse is all about.

Bevan’s wines definitely seem more available than some, such as Realm. I think many of his single vineyard wines are pretty small production (just a few hundred cases), so I don’t think it’s that he makes much more of any given wine than Realm, Myriad, etc. but he does make a lot of different single vineyard wines, so perhaps buyers have more choices and spread out their purchases more. Or maybe Bevan just isn’t as “hot” a winery as something like Realm, although he certainly has the scores and track record to compete with the best Napa estates.

I got 3 Ontegeny and 3 Dr Crane. Never had a Tench wine: Harbison or Calixtro. How is the style of the wine? I’ve had a Backus from Oakville. Similar to that?

18 Ontogeny is :fire:

Nice! Maybe ill try one early then!

Isn’t it time for the Spring release?

I’m kind of glad the wines are available, as we love them. We drank so many Bevan wines last summer with friends that we had to reload from Russell’s library, something that you can rarely do from high-end wineries. Awesome wine, great customer service, and pricing is very favorable. What’s not to love?

I hope not. My credit card needs a break.

Same ha. I just got 3 18 Ontogeny and 3 18 Dr. Crane. I need a month or two.

Last weekend, I stopped by my local wine shop and noticed they had a few new bottles on display, a 2018 Bevan Dr Crane for $599 and next to it was a 2018 Realm Dr Crane for $499. Bevan #winning

1 Like

Opened one of these last night. I hope it is just shut down–but not much improvement tonight after 24 hours being open?

2018s shut down fast, especially the Bevan DrC (from what I remember on release).