Bevan projects

Arthur - What a nice find!! I hope you can save 1 of the 2009 to compare to our 2019 Morisoli Cab! We’re in the process of blending it now. Jacob Franklin is now its own project, head up by Jake Coursen himself. You can find their upcoming releases at https://jacobfranklinwines.com/

Zachary - Just replied to your e-mail. Looking forward to making this right! :smiley:

Cheryl,

Is the 2018 Morisoli Cab for sale yet, or not until this fall? Saw your photo of it on IG, and was immediately tempted to buy!

Andrew, great question and some nice conversation in this thread about additional projects with which Russell is involved. Through the 2020 vintage here is what I know:

Bevan Cellars (winemaker/co-owner)
Tench Vineyards (winemaker)
Lerner Project (winemaker/partner)
PerUs (winemaker)
Adversity Cellars (winemaker/co-owner)
Institution Winery (winemaker)
Elyse Winery (winemaker)
Addax Wines (winemaker)
Harbison (winemaker)
Chase Cellars (winemaker)
Napa Jack Winery (winemaker)
Erba Vineyards (winemaker)
New CA sparkling project with Weston Edison (winemaker/partner)
There’s a new kosher wine project where Russell is the consulting winemaker. The project is yet to be named and started with the 2020 vintage.

(Edited name of CA sparkling project)

1 Like

A few quick notes:
-If you are referring to Jack Winery up on Atlas Peak, the winemaker there is actually Grant Long Jr
-Supernova is owned by Weston Eidson (owner and winemaker for Silver Ghost Cellars and Montagu Wines), and Weston is also the winemaker. I know there is a new sparkler project debuting in the next year where Weston & Russell worked together, so maybe that is what you were referring to

Shay:

1. No, I’m not referring to the winery on Atlas Peak

2. Russell and Weston are working on a sparkling project. It’s always been referred to by Russell as Supernova. With that being said, we usually don’t let truth get in the way of a good story within our org [snort.gif]

Hi Michael,

1. Ah cool, didn’t know there was another producer by a similar name. Not familiar with Napa Jack.

2. Supernova is meant to be its own “brand”, and the new project will be its own brand and has a different name (I only know this because Weston is a very close friend and we met up and shared some wine the other evening). Regardless, it’s very exciting after having tried some samples of the sparklers to see what they’ve created!

Shay, thanks for the heads up. I’ve edited my original post to reflect this. I know that Russell is incredibly excited about the project.

Cheers,

Michael

I had a taste of the 2018 Elyse Morisoli Zin at the winery on Sunday. It was terrific. I will definitely be buying when they release it in the fall. [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

I had a bottle last year, when they offered it in a pandemic relief pack. Seriously sexy stuff for a Zin!

I also had a bottle last year, but have been hesitant to give my opinion, because I’m not sure how it will be taken. However, as long as we’re discussing the wine I might as well share that while I typically don’t care much for Zin, I think the 2018 Elyse Morisoli Zin (consumed last year) is a great wine. I feel that it’s more refined and polished than what I typically experience with Zin, and that goes a long way with me. It’s just hard for me to know whether I should confidently recommend this to Zin lovers, since I normally have no desire to drink Zin.

I can certainly see that, and I don’t really see it as a negative. Zin is a pretty darned flexible grape, and a number of different styles have been “in favor” over the years. I never thought I would see Russell Bevan working with Zin, but if I had imagined it, the Morisoli turned out precisely how I might have seen it. Zinfandel hits the red carpet, but is still wearing cowboy boots and a big hat.

1 Like

I’ve liked the earlier elyse wines I’ve had so excited to receive these bevan made ones.

1 Like

I had the Elyse 2017 Morisoli zin on Sunday also and it was quite different than the fruit forward 2018. The 2017 (not made by Russell) was a much more old school, traditional style. On the other hand they also poured me some 2019 Morisoli zin and it was like the 2018 on steroids. If I remember correctly Josh said the 2018 was 50% new oak and the 2019 was 100%. Maybe it will change a bit with more bottle time, but I’d want to taste it again before buying.

I also had the Elyse 2018 Le Corbeau (Sonoma County) Syrah and it was quite good. It apparently has some Moaveni Syrah in it. Russell has made Syrah previously with that (Bennett Valley) vineyard and it is stellar. The 2018 is not released yet, but I’ll be a buyer of it for sure.

1 Like

The 2018 Le Corbeau is predominantly sourced from the Jemrose vineyard, which is another Bennett Valley vineyard both Josh and Russell have worked with for years. But, Moevani is an ongoing part of our Syrah programs and will be a large component in future Le Corbeau releases. (“Ode to M” Moaveni Syrah is one of my favorite wines!) We have grown in the vineyard. As of 2021, we will be working with 85% of Moaveni.

Our wine club clients evaporated the 2018 Corbeau, but the 2019 will be released in the fall along with our 2018 Zins and Cabs.

The 2019s are definitely not for the faint of heart! Russell chose to create a 100% new oak barrel-select of 2019 Morisoli Zin called “Zieger block” that may require a surgeon general’s warning. We are also making a few 19 Zinfandels with a small (very small) amount of restraint. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sent you an email :slight_smile:.

1 Like

I should’ve also mentioned that Josh told me on Sunday that Elyse will be taking the majority of St. Peters Church zin in the future. It’ll be VERY interesting to see what Russell does with that!

Ditto!

This sounds like a recipe for awesome…

I just got an email for the Elyse mailing list. One of the offerings was:

2018 Elyse Proprietary Red Wine
Russell went ham in the cellar and blended together whatever Bordeaux varietals fit his vision. This is a very intense wine. We barely have enough of this to cover the club, so this is the best time to grab it if you are interested.

Can’t find out anything more about this wine. It isn’t in Cellartracker nor their website. Any ideas?

1 Like

I had the chance to try some of the 2018 Elyse wines ahead of time, and didn’t even get a crack at this. I doubt many (any) have had it yet.

2 Likes