Bevan projects

I believe Russell is now the winemaker at Carter Cellars.

Accurate.

Love Bevan wines, but Mike Smith crushed it at Carter Cellars too. Why did he leave?

1 Like

Awesome and I’m just hoping I’ll be able to receive the Wine Club Fall 2021 Allocation (currently on the wait-list).

killer syrah

Here’s the Elyse offerings from today’s mailer (I added the list prices, club is 20% off list):

2018 Elyse Estate Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, $96
Sourced from our estate vineyard in Yountville and hand-farmed by our team, this is Yountville in a bottle. There is a little Eucalyptus influence, which you know if you love or hate!

2018 Elyse Holbrook Mitchell Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, $65
From an estate right up the hills from our winery, this is big cab

2018 Elyse Morisoli Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, $85
Rutherford in a bottle. This is our most elegant cabernet. Our winemaker Russell Bevan has had an awesome time working with this very famous section of Rutherford. Morisoli Cab was one of the first wines that he fell in love with in Napa decades and decades ago.

2018 Elyse Napa Valley Cabernet, $55
Russell’s luscious ode to Napa Cab.

2018 Elyse Korte Ranch Vineyard Zinfandel, $45
Made from an ancient, beasty zin vineyard in St. Helena near Brasswood.

2018 Elyse Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel, $45
You know what Dry Creek is! Made in partnership with an incredible, old-school Italian farming family. The Ramozzattis have been wonderful to work with in Sonoma.

2018 Elyse Morisoli Vineyard Zinfandel, $45
One of the last Zin vineyards left in Rutherford thanks to the wonderful stubborness of the Morisoli Family. This is our most elegant and texturally interesting Zin, very much thanks to the Rutherford soil and climate. Unfortunately, we have to limit this to 3 bottles because we don’t have very much of it. This is the first wine Elyse ever made, way back in the 80s.

2018 Elyse Proprietary Red Wine, $95
Russell went ham in the cellar and blended together whatever Bordeaux varietals fit his vision. This is a very intense wine. We barely have enough of this to cover the club, so this is the best time to grab it if you are interested.

2019 Le Corbeau, $65
Le Corbeau is a long-standing Elyse Syrah tradition. This year, it has a little Petite Syrah and Carignane. The Syrah is sourced from Jemrose Vineyard. The 2018 evaporated in the wine club last year, and we never had a chance to release it!

2 Likes

Excited and thanks for sharing!

They were tight lipped at Carter when I tasted there a couple weeks ago, but I got the vibe that a change of scenery was needed for both parties; however, that is complete and pure speculation. Very interesting though, Mike vinified the 2019 Carter wines, but Russell blended them.

1 Like

I wonder if and how the style will change moving to Russell now on these Carter wines.

A bit surprised too as they seem to be pretty similar in style? I personally try not to buy wine from any company or person that doesn’t grow it or make it themselves.

1 Like

After tasting the 2019 Carter wines I wish Mike and Russell made a wine together on purpose and not by chance. The results of Mike making the wine and Russell blending were phenomenal!

heads-up, Wine Exchange has the 2018 Elyse Napa Valley Cabernet for $49.98, and is running a 20% discount on all Cabs right now - so $40 bucks/bottle before tax/shipping. I’m in for a case (but I had to call, the website seems really screwy right now)

2 Likes

Showing $54.98/per for me. Curious

discounted at check-out

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning the 20% discount because I was already planning to purchase a bottle from Wine Exchange. One of the reasons why I didn’t purchase one from Elyse even though I’m part of the Eylse Wine Club (6 bottles).

I’m a little curious to see if they sell out entirely of the Elyse since that is a good deal.

77 left as of right now
Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 3.33.01 PM.png

1 Like

That’s certainly one way to find out haha.

Got 3 more; I am happy to stock up on this one

We agree on that wine!