Bordeaux 2009 in NYC

All

I can confirm that my guest and I will be bringing 2009 Pape Clement and Rauzan Segla.

Given we had broadened the theme, feel free to bring champagne/ white.

Dinesh, thanks for organizing. I’ve sick lately. Trying get over it, not sure if I will be able to make Friday. Thanks.

1 Like

Hope you feel better Julie

We are confirmed for tomorrow at PDH at 6:30 pm. Bring stems.

If you’re still on the fence about what to bring, white wine and champagne are needed.

Peking Duck House (uptown)
236 E. 53 St.
(between 2 & 3 Ave.)

I am planning 2009 Larrivet and a red surprise, but if no one declares a white or bubbly, I will switch.

Bring stems is an understatement. I have boxes of stems around the corner at my office that I bring to PDH events, but we had someone who came down with COVID yesterday and due to my medical needs, I am not working there and I do not think I can retrieve a box.

How bad would it be if we do not bring stems? We are coming from LI and already have to stop on the upper west side first.

My wife and I are bringing splits of

2009 Lafaurie-Peyraguey
2009 Chateau La Tour Blanche
2009 Chateau Guiraud
2009 Chateau Suduiraut

and I also just ordered a 2009 Castello di Ama l’Apparita which I will be picking up just before, so I won’t be able to give it any air prior. I have never had any vintage of this wine before, but from my limited understanding, it won’t need too much air to show.

Ugh. My cellar is a disaster. The only 09 Bordeaux I could find is Grand Puy Ducasse. I found the 2009 Cayuse Camaspelo. I can bring those 2, or if someone wants, I will bring a ridiculous wine because I have not opened many of them in the past 6 months, so if someone wants to swap something out for a Saxum, a SQN, a Myriad, and Aubert, or whatever (you guess what I have). Or a Churchill or a Comtes.

Jay, don’t be confined to Bordeaux. A while back we broadened the theme a bit. So please feel free to bring whatever you like.

Screw it. I’m going to bring the 2009 GPD for the theme and whatever I feel like drinking tonight, which I can assure you will not be a Chianti I picked at a grocery store in Tuscany.

1 Like

See you all in another 30 mins.

Have double decanted Rauzan Segla and Pape Clement.

Great seeing everyone. I am sure someone has better tasting notes than me.
0EB69DF8-B0C3-403C-A6F9-AF8FABAD47EC.jpeg

1988 Dominus. Very nice. Did it blend?
What was the WOTN?

I am hesitant to admit but I think 2009 Pape Clement.

Others are welcome to weigh in.

1 Like

Thanks guys.
AAD7D9B5-0000-4B24-BE67-170B852E1531.jpeg

For me it was the 88 Dominus. The 2009 Pape Clement was quite good as well.

1 Like

Great meeting everyone last night. Dominus for me too. I was also very happy with the Chateau Suduiraut!

Dominus was great. Pape Clement was WOTN for me. Of the whites, I liked them both with a slight edge to the Rhys. I thought all of the Sauternes showed well with my #1 being the Suduiraut. Thank you to Dinesh and Tom for the organization. Fun night!

Thanks to all for a fun night. Good to meet the folks from LI. Thanks to all for their generosity, especially those who brought necessary ‘last minute’ whites.

It was great to be back at the Duckhouse after nearly three years of covid. Same as it ever was and that’s a wonderful thing.

Can anyone post a list of the wines?

Going in to the evening many agreed that the 09 Bordeaux would probably be too young and not show well. For me, they just wouldn’t let me in. Closed, non expressive, somewhat dumb, a bit flat, little dimension. Not showing complexity or much on the nose. Tough to evaluate except that they had, of course, rich, deep dark fruit and color and good length. I guess I liked the Pape Clement best as it showed me a little more towards the end of the night. Can’t base an evaluation on that but that’s the way it was and we humans are evaluating animals. The Clement and the Rauzan Segla were obviously a cut above the other bordeaux.

“The highest form of human intelligence is to observe yourself without judgment.” —Krishnamurti

The 88 Dominus was decanted (as was most of the Bordeaux) and had many of the same frustrating attributes of the Bordeaux. Couldn’t get a handle on it. After 3 1/2 hours it opened a little but I found little to comment about. Excellent colour for it’s age.

For me, the 09 Cayuse Camaspelo bordeaux blend from Washington State, was very different than anything else, big, fat, very fruity, jammy, it tasted over the top being included in this group.

The whites did not show well. The Rivers Marie was short and indistinctive, the 04 Rhys (single vineyard) was shut tight with little energy but still with considerable youth. Neither would budge all night long even with carefully moving them in and out of the ice.

The Sauternes all showed well with the Suduiraut very solid. I guess it was my WOTN. It was fun to have four 375’s in front of us.

If you’re still reading this you know what I knew, that my palate was having an off night. But many others felt much the same about the Bordeaux. All in all a great lineup of wines.

Hope all is well with the person that didn’t show up.

Looking forward to next time when we are thinking of tasting wines with at least twenty years of age on them.

Tom, good reminder that we talk about a theme called “good quality **** pre 2002” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: