Bordeaux 2014

In the past 2 months,
I tried 2014 Barde Haut vs 2016 Barde Haut, and the 2016 shined. QPR, 2016 is better even when it’s 30% more expensive.
2014 DDC is ready as well.
I didn’t try 2014 Malescot, but 2016 is good out of the gate.

Most of these, you can easily backfill, so if you are curious, just go for it.

This is normal. 2016 may be delicious now but will close down the next month. 2014 wines are already closed down and in a stage of their evolution 2016 Bordeaux will be in a few month. This is the rule – with exceptions. Wisdom says – drink Bordeaux very young or better wait 15 years+. I am talking about the Crus Classés.

The Chevalier, while young and somewhat reserved, is really flipping delicious. Same with the Malescot, but to a slightly lesser extent. Both benefit from lots of air. No comment on the others because I haven’t tried them.

I agree on the Malescot 2014. We flew through 4 bottles - really tasty.

Interesting! I have a bunch of this. Have opened only one bottle (a 375) and while it has a forbidding tannic structure I got no vegetal qualities at all (or I would have sold the lot). I won’t be opening any more for a while.

But I’m not waiting 20 years, Mark!

Neal,

knowing your age – pretty similar to mine – it does not make much sense to buy young Bordeaux any more. Backfilling is a different story …

Could’ve been a bad bottle? I wasn’t sure what to make of it to be honest. If you take one for the team and it’s better, definitely let us know!

I bought 6-8 bottles of 15, but 14 was really the last vintage I bought (and even then not very much, and mostly in 375s).