Bordeaux 2016 vintage

$125 for Lynch actually had my finger poised. I resisted. Sounds like a pretty epic wine though

Still waiting for Ducru, Figeac and Las Cases. Possibly Trotanoy and la Fleur Petrus.

Many dollars. Good luck!

I held back on Lynch as well - one of the only outside of Cos and Montrose (which I both bought) thus far that had my interest at the price point. Holding out for a few others, but the value proposition by all but a select few has been pretty weak so far in my opinion…

Yes, Montrose, Cos at no increase, and a mild increase for Lynch Bages is kind of, sort of a win of sorts. Excuse the hedging [swoon.gif] Could be worse I guess may be a better way to say it. I also have interest in the Pichons, but worried about the price. Then there is that set of wines that are in that $40-90 range (in 2015), and lower for that matter, that should hold some good value, and some of which should be great- Calong Segur, GPL and stuff like that. Pending pricing of course.

There are years I’m done by now. I haven’t bought a bottle yet. I sniffed at Montrose, but I’m waiting for Calon. GPL, Leoville B. and Chevalier are also of interest. If Leo B is too high, I’ll retreat to Branaire. If Chevalier is too high, I’ll buy 2015 Haut Bailly. I’ll be curious to see the price of Pichon B. I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a big day.

Last year I bit on Clinet, Fleur Petrus, Malescot, Rauzan Segla and GPL.

The more prices I see this year, the happier I am I went long on 2014. In 2014 I bought both Pichons, Cos, Leo P., GPL (sensing a pattern here), Mouton R., Haut Brion, Margaux and VCC for good measure.

It’s really been a tedious rollout so far…

Right on, Scott…may not be a ‘vintage of the century’ but 2014 is seeming like a very savvy vintage to have gone long on. This 2015/2016 pricing seems to really make the case that 2014 was/is indeed great value.

No 15s. Not a bottle of 16s yet. Not even really tempted, except for a moment, for the Lynch.

Several retailers have already picked up on that - stating it is a ‘value’ and trying to sell more '14’s whilst they continue to push '16 futures

Were I 40 years of age, I’d buy the crap out of 2015 and 2016, but being 50, I’m glad I bought the crap out of 2014. I’m done with new releases except for some regular weekday drinkers. May need to reconsider my whimsical, recent boycott of Lanessan since it has gone to the dark side.

Has anyone noticed less offerings of half bottles? I typically buy 24 bottles of daily drinkers in halves, but there have been very few offers with that size available.

Usually you can simply requests halves. When ordering a case of 12, I have always been able to convert to halves. Typically they charge 1-2 euro extra per bottle, which is not too bad.

I came to the realization I wished I had a more from solid “shoulder” vintages like 2001 and 2004. I fixed that with back fills, but it seemed to me that I was going to look back at 2014 and reach the same conclusion.

At Rob A., I’m 49, but I’m a buyer. I guess it depends upon how you like them. For me, I like them when the tannins are mostly resolved, they are still holding some fruit tones and they are starting to develop some tertiary characteristics. That usually seems to be between 12-18 years. Right now I’m usually reaching for a 2000, 2001, 2003 or 2004 and they are usually in a good place. I’m praying the ones I’m buying now are ones I’ll be enjoying in my mid to late 60s or early 70s. Granted, I’m not sure how much longer I’m buying futures, but it still all makes sense to me for now (as much as futures makes sense anyway, which they really don’t, but that’s covered in other threads).

The Bordelais are smart with their pricing. They are playing mind games with us. They are trying to give us the pricing impression of ever upward. They release a small tranche at $139 per bottle, then up the price, drizzle out some more, and then they are at $160 and think you wish you had bought on futures. The problem for them on the back end is there is so much supply. I’ve regularly been seeing 2010s for $20 less than their release price and (unfortunately) quite a few of those bottles are ones I bought at the release price. This is a world away from buying Burgundy and it’s all supply and demand.

BTW, today is Ascencion Day holiday in France, so no releases I think. Scott, I am older than you -early 60s- but I am with you on the aging. I even enjoy some a LOT younger than that. And also older. So, I still buy. Not much longer, though.

Jim, I had checked for British bank holidays, but not French. blush So tomorrow…

I just took delivery of my 2014 Leoville Barton. We said hello, and then I made them comfortable for a very, very long nap.

Neal,

You might want to sing to them between naps.

Maybe I will play them one; my singing might be too disturbing

Great points, Scott - I do recall a few retailers starting to up prices with each tranche of both the Cos and Montrose releases within a day or two of the initial release (makes me glad I didn’t hesitate on either! but I can see how this would play mind games if you waited). Given what 2017 is shaping up to be, I do wonder to what extent this is impacting pricing decisions for this vintage (I’m guessing quite a bit).

Given the strong universal acclaim of both LLC and Figeac, I’m really hoping that they don’t pull a Pavie beacuse these are two more that could be in the sweet spot for me (both style and price point).

Not to cause too much of a thread drift, but has anyone here tasted Tour St. Christophe? This is one that caught my eye as I’ve never heard of it before though it is being touted by many critics as a strong “value” at introductory pricing to “build a brand” for a relatively new estate under new ownership. The critics universally seem to like it (esp 2015-2016), though I see Rolland is involved, and I haven’t really heard much about it other than via reading reviews…

This might not count, but I tried the 2014 Tour st christophe. Based on scores. Before finding out Rolland is involved. Struck me as overly ripe and extracted. Not blaming Rolland and I am not anti-Rolland, but, Preferred a '14 d’hanteillan at ~half the price.