Bordeaux with 10-20 years and < $100

This was my first thought as well. Shocked that Alf didn’t mention it!

LOL. I’m like a broken record. Woulda mentioned Sociando as well, but some DC hot shot lawyer doesn’t like it and finds it atypical. [snort.gif]

PS. Cantemerle 2000 is quite nice but 2009 and 2010 another notch above. Was not thrilled with 2005.

The Haut Bailly 2008 is one of the wines of the vintage. Hits the criteria, and from bottle , at the very beginning of maturity

US but I do often procure in the UK, particularly for back vintages.

I had a 2005 Brane-Cantenac the other night which was really nice. Mid-weight, proper claret. Should drink well over the next decade. Case price in UK is less than $1,000 USD.

Batailley in Paulliac is affordable and needs time.

For me, almost any vintage of Socciando Mallet (as someone else already mentioned), Chasse Spleen or Clos Labroy (89 or 90). All three are relative bargains in the expense world of Bordeaux and can all be had for sub $100.

Why are you buying in London? Especially now… you say you’ll wait out the tariffs, but that could be two days or two decades.

Lanessan 1990, 1996, 2000 and 2005 are all available stateside for half the price you are willing to pay. The 1990 was fabulous earlier this year.

Sociando Mallet is another good suggestion. Haut-Marbuzet is surprisingly hard to find, but Lafon-Rochet is not. Boyd-Cantenac. Batailley. And don’t get me started on the other side of the river.

Dan Kravitz

If willing to go a bit older, the 1996 is great and drinks perfectly.

The 2010 Cantemerle is an amazing value. We recently had a bottle in London. If you fast-forward to 9/18/2019, you will see what I thought of it. [cheers.gif]

Visiting London, Galway, Dublin and Paris

Definitely. Recently I picked up a case of ‘66 Cantemerle for a cool £340/case…that should be less than US$50 a bottle including all charges.

Where do you guys buy these older wines from?

Thanks for your help.:slightly_smiling_face:

Wow, fantastic trip! Sign me up for that entire itinerary. Thanks for sharing all the pics, even if I did feel like a happy voyeur! And I concur, that 2010 is fantastic.

[cheers.gif]

DDC?

+1
Although it doesnt get much love on this board, I think it’s a great wine.

Hmmmm

Thanks Robert. [thankyou.gif] I was self-employed for many years, making travel difficult. We are now trying to make up for lost time.

Colin

There are other threads where many didnt like DDC post 1990s.

Judging from Cellar Tracker, I’d be very interested in trying the following vintages of Brane Cantenac:

[u]Community Tasting Notes - Wine Not Found - CellarTracker
[u]https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/brane+cantenac/1996/[/u]

[u]https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/brane+cantenac/1998/[/u]

[u]https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/brane+cantenac/2001/[/u]

Unfortunately, the 2000 would break the bank.