Bottles Wall of Fame

Boy I noticed the older Huets pretty quickly. What years were those? Nice collection. I asked my spouse about a couple of bottles that were not in her poster that were memorable…then I remembered I boxed a few cases to make more room for above the cabinets. The ones we save have a positive taste memory and usually it is with friends or family. The Domaine Leflaives were always brought by one friend. Hope she continues the practice. I’m always willing to cook for good wine.

Very cool cover up Glen.

1 Like

Never had many of those zinfandels but see them mentioned on this board quite a bit. We have a couple of zins on our wall. Most notably are older Rafanelli and Hartford Court zins…Wonder how they would taste today? Been a long time since I’ve tasted a balanced zin. I remember a discussion with David Coffaro many many years ago where he wished that he barreled more like neighbor Rafanelli did to integrate the fruit a bit more. I might still have one of his Aca Modots buried in my “wine cellar”. Doubt it’s still good as he used plastic corks at the time.

I started doing this when I moved into my house. I line up bottles that were epic or hold some sentimental value.
1344794D-E1C6-409E-9670-AC8B23615C5C.jpeg
AF154DF1-69FC-4948-BD3F-0D9E8A36C2E9.jpeg

I really like the idea of turning this into a poster or something.

There’s also a back row.

The Huets are:

1959 Haut Lieu Moelleux, a very nice bottle that I brought to a wine geek dinner at La Rochetta in Manhattan (Osteria Cotta is now in that space) about 20 years ago; and

1971 Haut Lieu Demisec, an intensely vibrant, delicious bottle I brought to a dinner at Racines when Paul Day was in town from London four years ago, when he brought 1966 Bollinger RD (IIRC) with a friend (quite wonderful), 2002 Bollinger VVF (pretty dull), and 1964 Laville Haut Brion (spectacular still and crazy young).

Edit: I should add that there’s a 500 ml empty of 1995 Huet Cuvee Constance in the back row. It arrived at my apartment one day over 20 years ago with the cork blown right through the capsule cleanly. I had to drink it then (miraculously very little had spilled out). It was delicious. I taped the capsule “circle” to the neck and kept it as a trophy.

This. My wife is sufficiently irritated the full bottles that litter our house. The only empties I own are a Kurniawan 1961 La Chapelle and a 1969 Perrier Jouet flower bottle jeroboam from our wedding, both of which are permanently housed in the basement ‘cellar.’

We had a shelf built in our cellar room for this purpose with lighting above and below - a bunch of fun memories.
tempImageD0YPOX.gif
tempImageAnq8BD.gif

2 Likes

[winner.gif]

I have the same Burgundy map poster! Not quite the same empty bottles…

Gary, which Paumanoks do you like? We’ve been going to LI lately and so far have tried the Merlot and Barrel Fermented Chardonnay, both of which I liked. TIA!

David, which LI wines are your favorites? As just mentioned, I’ve tried two Paumanoks, both of which I liked, also one Wolffer [thumbs-up.gif] (SB) and one I didn’t care for (rosé). Years ago I had a Nappa blanc de noir but haven’t run into one recently.

I have never saved empties, but for a time I was collecting labels, with which I then created a couple poster boards. Not sure where they are or the shape they are in after a few moves. And, my wife does not like them. Next project is making something with owc ends. maybe a wall of fame, coffee table or bar cart, framed display board, not sure yet. Just broke up the boxes. I saved a few 6-bottle boxes to finish into some kind of storage boxes.

Peter- My favorite white wines from Paumanok are both of the Chenin Blanc bottlings. For the reds I’ve really liked the Assemblage in the better years and several of the Grand Vintages . I would also check out Lenz and Roanoke for their red wines.

1 Like

Evan - Stellar cellar room. I take it you like burgundy? Thank you for sharing as the idea might fit into a design when our bottles are moved.

Thank you, and yes I caught the Burgundy bug. The room is small and has a low-ish ceiling (designed as a home office and doesn’t have any natural light), so these shelves also serve as lighting for the room.

That would make an awesome jigsaw puzzle.

1 Like

Slight thread drift…where are the frames for the burgundy maps from? I’ve been looking for frames for mine.

Slight thread drift…where are the frames for the burgundy maps from? I’ve been looking for frames for mine.

custom job from a local frame shop.

1 Like

I’ve bought a couple of these for “special” bottles.

https://winelight.com/collections/winelight™-flame-protectors/products/winelight™-tube-lamp-gift-set-3-piece

(Gives an excuse to keep the bottle)

As have I . . . until you get them framed, turns out there’s an app for them!

1 Like