Bottles Wall of Fame

He is the only one to make a chenin blanc and a heck of a good one at that, their late harvest Riesling, chardonnay grand vintage and the Tuthills Merlot.
As a matter of disclosure I personally think LI wineries are great for a day out east with friends and or family. You will find much better QPR elsewhere as well as wines better suited for cellaring. I am not a fan of Long Island reds— period. Finger lakes gets a lot more representation in my cellar than LI.

1 Like

138887B2-B65E-4CB7-AA32-D6C755D95944.jpeg
We have a fun little area at my bar where I can hang on to memorable bottles.

Glad to find out I’m not the only person to hang onto empty bottles. The bottles I have on display represent memories, more than the wine itself though. A special day or moment sharing the bottle.

1 Like

Rudy would love to get his hands on those empty’s. Some rare glass you have there.

Our first house had a plate rail around the dining room. That became a trophy bottle rail. When we moved, there was a culling of the memorable bottles from the empty trophies and a little under two cases of empties came with us. The new cellar has a rack at the back with the nicer looking wood boxes serving as shelves for the new crop of trophies. The old trophies haven’t found their way out of the boxes they moved in and support some full boxes in longer-term storage. I’m a sentimental son of depression-era parents so lots of things bring me joy even if I can’t see them every day.

Cheers,
fred

I agree with you. I’m not a fan of Long Island reds. Next weekend we’re going to be out east on the south fork of Long Island. My son wants to go to Wolffer because he says my grandsons can run around. The only south fork winery I enjoy is Channing Daughters. David, any suggestions that are Paumanok-like (my favorite on the north fork)?

Thanks.

Dan if you’re at Channing you might want to try their Lagrein. It’s shockingly good. They actually made a Rosato di Lagrein. In fact, they make something like a half dozen different rosati from specific grape varieties. They’re getting more and more adventurous and make for an interesting visit.

Agree with David about the Chenin at Paumanok. Wish more people would do it out there.

But Gary - has the Queen’s English been so corrupted by Americanisms? “we have been saving wine bottles that peak our taste buds”?

Pique?

Not cool. Hope they got recycled (which is rare nowadays).

Part of the “wall”
6C247BDC-DAED-4D85-8B58-73E0DB44838C.jpeg

once a bottle is empty, it no longer piques my interest.

1 Like

I never kept empties, only corks, so I don’t have the top bottles I’ve had in my lifetime. However, recently we installed a 6 bottle display case on the wall in the dining room as part of the decor. It’s going to have 6 bottles in it anyway, so I decided it will be kind of the wall of fame of my favorite 6 bottles since we installed it. When I finish a bottle and it’s “more special” than one on the wall, that one gets replaced. That can mean quality of wine or a special sentiment. It also typically only means bottles popped at the house as I’m unlikely to carry an empty home from some event just to put it on the wall.

Right now it contains:

2017 Prieur Musigny
2008 DP
2003 Cheval Blanc
2018 Bouchard Monty
2007 DRC Ech
2008 Soldera

I hope to eventually do something like this–so I’ve been saving all my bottles:

4A7B9030-2CF6-4366-A4E7-45D401322EDC.jpeg
A few empties from the past year or so. Prob gonna toss most of them soon, but nice to look at from time to time.

Mamma mia, that’s a lot of DRC.

i tossed them in our recycling bin. Don’t get your undies in a twist. We woke out here in sunny socal. Even compost food waste.

Paging Francois…in case anyone doesn’t follow his 'gram.

This wins berserkers for the month. Maybe the year [wow.gif]