Brett in Burgundy - the red wine premox?

A couple of months ago , I had dinner with Allen Meadows . I brought a 1995 Chambertin from Leroy . It was undrinkable , because of excessive bret aromas .

In my (modest) experience - far from a surpriseā€¦

Did everyone at the table ā€˜agreeā€™ that the brett was excessive? Or is he more ā€˜hyper sensitiveā€™ than other reviewers?

I know this has been discussed in the past, but one personā€™s ā€˜barnyardā€™ is another personā€™s ā€˜terroirā€™ - and I would guess these ā€˜tolerance levelsā€™ are different from person to person, and reviewer to reviewer.

Then there could always be the good old ā€˜bottle variationā€™ where one person is tasting a ā€˜cleanā€™ or ā€˜relatively cleanā€™ bottle and another is tasting a ā€˜heavily affectedā€™ one . . .

Cheers.

Because of 95 vintage or Leroy Chambertin?

I have had a corked 90 Beaumonts but havenā€™t heard of Brett being a problem.

We could always pop them open at your houseā€¦for Science, of course.

But how ā€˜usefulā€™ is this list, really? It lists about 95% of the exported Burgundy, so is actually less than useless.

As a compulsive wine buyer for nearly 40 years- that is one of the funniest things I have ever read on this board.

Sure, you can stop. We all can.

Anytime.

Really.

Larry , the brett was not excessive , the wine was undrinkable . That is a big difference . I donā€™t mind a little brett at all .

Gotcha - but I was responding to your OP where you stated that there was excessive brett.

Did everyone agree on the brett?

Cheers

Yes

06 liger belair colombiere at High Treason! Sooooooo bretty

With higher levels of brett being noticed, one wonders about provenance of bottles post bottling over time as well. Do you think ā€˜less careā€™ is being given to these bottles now compared to a decade ago? Just curious . . .

Cheers

True. There are obviously examples. But not something I notice on the majority of Burgs I open or tastes, thatā€™s all I was saying.

Because of 3 different 99s from the domaine that Iā€™ve had - one has been lovely the other two were full of brett - close to my tipping point - and I am modestly tolerantā€¦

Iā€™ve been quite successful at stopping.

Many times.

Does Brett increase over time in an individual bottle? I.E., if a bottle is a little bretty on release, does the bacteria grow over the next 20YRs to become a brett bomb?

Very unpredictable since it all depends on so many factors.

Thatā€™s quite scary for buying a youngish Burg with a bit a brett on the nose.

It can often be very difficult to tell the difference between brett and reduction, esp in a young burg. The most reliable indicator/test is that brett gets worse with air time, and reduction gets better. Also, Brett is a yeast, not a bacteria!

Isnā€™t it true though that high temperatures are a necessary precondition for brett to grow? In other words if you store bottles at 50F whatever brett is there wonā€™t multiply

1 Like