Bucklin Fall Release

[cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] Offer lasted too long. I caved.

deleted

1. Who gives a **** about Wine Spectator

• 2018 Bucklin Ancient Field Blend Old Hill Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/4/2020)
    Old Hill Ranch is a foundational site in my wine journey. The 1991 Ravenswood Old Hill caught my attention when I was first getting serious about wine. The 2018 is the first version I have opened from Bucklin, and the soul of the vineyard shines through. This version is somewhat brighter, even fresher than the 2018 Bedrock and Once & Future Old Hill wines. It has more forward acidity, balanced by clear, ripe red fruit. Earthy, herbal notes emerge on the finish, with a firm tannic, quinine tinged finish. Feels like a lithe, long distance runner.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

The retail site I got that review from turned out to have the wrong info. The review seems to be for 2018 Bambino (at least according to wine.com).

New Bucklin release is live.

I’m in for some Bambino, Ancient and Mixed Whites

Still some stuff available from the spring release too…don’t sleep on these wines. They are fantastic, and unreal values.

1 Like

Ordered a case of 2019 Bambino.

Don’t sleep on the Mixed Whites, it’s amazing! But I also wanted to try the Ancient Grenache from the spring release based on some of the comments here so I ordered a few bottles during this release too.

I actually opened a 2018 mixed whites over the weekend.

Not my thing.

Looking forward to the mixed blacks. Really been enjoying the last few releases.

Would love to hear your thoughts on it David! I’ve yet to try a Mixed Whites but it sounds interesting in the same vein as Compagni-Portis…although I know these are younger vines.

I ended up not even writing a note because I had really no thoughts on it at all. It was rather bland.

I am not much of a fan of California “kitchen sink” white blends. Compagni Portis has for the most part left me cold from Arnot-Roberts and Bedrock. The Matthiasson White Wine and the Massican Annia are really the only two I thoroughly enjoy.

Gotcha! Appreciate the feedback David!

Thanks for the details! I found that the Mixed Whites from Bucklin was fairly full bodied with an oily texture that reminded me of Bordeaux Blanc. I also found that it opened up with time and was much more interesting on the second day so if you have an extra bottle you could revisit it with some age and see if it suits you better.

1 Like

Interesting comparison to Bordeaux Blanc, which I rarely drink, because I don’t care for it. Explains a lot! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Popped a 2020 mixed whites right off the delivery truck last night. Compared to the 2019, the 2020 is much lighter bodied and has a zippier fruit profile. My guess is that the percentage of Riesling in the blend is higher this year than years past. I enjoyed the 2020 much more than the 2019. Fun wine!

Any word on when the spring release is coming? Looks like it went live in late February last year. I’ve really enjoyed the rose from the spring release in the past.

Next Tuesday, 3/8, I believe

1 Like

Got the release email this am. Pretty fascinating deep dive into farming choices/climate change.

I just bought a new wine cabinet and told myself I was done buying wine til July. The first real test of my restraint.

WOW, I got Bucklin and Once & Future mixed up. Apologies if I threw anyone off