Building a subterranean wine cellar/root cellar

The looks amazing.
So in California you can just…do this? And here I am tied up for months getting approval for a generator.

The culvert idea is intriguing…and they’d be way overengineered for you given that these are DOT specs and essentially bridges. The obvious downside is that transporting pre-cast that size to your location, and then having to crane it in… and crane costs are not cheap. Personally, I think trying to “hack” this by using some really novel approach will just make more trouble for you. Pour the walls precast to 24-30" above grade to create a stem wall for whatever you might want to do on top (with finish floor 6" above grade as well). Getting concrete has long lead times for a lot of places in CA, but this can easily be pumped to awkward locations, unlike moving precast culverts.

Wood prices are astronomical, but you can do a wood deck (synthetic if you want - like Trex) then spray foam the ceiling/between the joists. Cellar walls can all be concrete with any water proof backer and drainage (NDS has an EZ-Drain French drain system that would make it super easy along any retaining side - but isn’t super “cheap” but is fast). Ceiling with wood deck and joists, spray foam insulation. Stem walls + corrugated metal roof on your new tasting room / deck.

I have to run drainage out of the hole. Therefor I need to dig at the depth of the hole clear out to the current grade.
I also need a ramp for wheelbarrow transport. There’s lots of loose soil that needs to be removed that is not coming out one tractor bucketfull at a time. I’m hiring laborers to do that.
Once the hole is the dimensions I am after I can trench the rest of the way for the drain. In the meantime it needs to be accessible.

He said he can get it in with a grade all forklift. I’m very intrigued.

such a cool thread. I check it daily.

1 Like

Where I live in California? A densely populated city where lots are 20 feet wide? Um, no. You need a permit to regrade your driveway and you might not get it.

Let’s say you live in a more rural area, a county that has more space, for vineyards, cattle, fruit trees, and let’s say you live on the west side of your county, which is less heavily traveled by tourists, and your own lot is back from the road, and you deal in tools, so maybe a large piece of construction equipment does not attract notice… and you have building skills so you know there won’t be an attention getting disaster. Do you need a permit? Do you ask?

I’m not saying Brian would do something like that, but some people would. And the neighbors would not have a problem with it, if they even knew it was happening. Just don’t divert anyone’s water or damage the supply.

1 Like

This guy repurposed a used culvert.

2 Likes

Dude!

Quite the hobbit hole project

I looked at building something similar a number of years ago. Even in a rural area planning regulations are tight. Had the engineers work on it and the authorities insisted on a reverse swimming pool of sorts and a sump pump. Cost became a major factor and I went above ground in the end. Nice work Brian.

Country Living!

1 Like

This isn’t finished yet?? SLACKER!

2 Likes

I am enjoying this thread. Keep the pics and updates coming!

I do have a day job. [swearing.gif]

Love this thread. But we need more pix.

I’m marveling at the wonderful, soft, excavatable soil. Where I am now in the Catskills is all glacial moraine – clay and gravel. It’s hard to drive a hand shovel more than a couple of inches.

I learned recently that a Mafia hit ordered by Tony Provenzano (the mobster believed to have been behind Jimmy Hoffa’s disappearance) occurred a few hundred yards away in 1961. The hitmen planned to bury the body of Tony “Three Fingers” Castellito nearby, but gave up after a few attempts to turn the soil. Any local could have told them digging a grave around here was hopeless!

They should have come to your yard, Brian.

1 Like

The first 5-6” is soft, the orange layer underneath 3’ thick is hard like concrete, then a layer of rock, then mix of orange layer/clay very hard. At about 6’+ down it’s limestone and digs real nice.

Once you spread it out and drive over it a few hundred times it get soft and fluffy but it’s deceiving.

I’ve tried pics from differing vantage points but it doesn’t transfer to the screen very well. I’ll put a few more together over the weekend when I get some more progress.

1 Like

And yet you are on here right now. (As am I, but thanks to the pandemic, I can appear in court remotely.)

Okay, that root cellar from the pipe was way too small for Brian’s purposes, but the proof of concept is very cool and it shows how someone did it without a crane. I found these half culverts pictured, which have a very cool opening so you can make a nice entryway if so inclined. These are in Malaysia, alas.

ARE YOU FINISHED YET???

[rofl.gif]

Way to stick with the bit!

This is why you go to west Jersey or PA.