Burgundy Help

2009, 2010, or 2012 Hudelot Noellat Chambolle Musigny for around $50. Should be quite lovable both from quality and price perspective.

Domaine Dujac Chambolle Musigny (domaine not Pere et fils). The 2010 is gorgeous if you can find it. But 2012 is around $90.

2012 or 2010 Fourrier Gevrey Chambertin vv $80-$100.

I think you have totally lost your mind buying anymore Burgundies. You don’t like them - why waste your money?

That being said, I would not buy any of the wines on the list. They are too young. If you want to experience Burgundy, experience what people like and buy a 2001 or a 2002. There are plenty of them around at your price range - but I did not see any on the list you showed. For example https://www.benchmarkwine.com/wines/28432-jadot-chambolle-musigny-les-feusselottes-2001 All the recommendations here are going to get you very closed wines showing no fruit and lots of tannin and acids.

I agree with Fred’s rec of Fourrier Gevrey VV, but don’t see any on the list. I think Fourrier might still be too minimalist for your palate though.

My experience is very limited compared to others on this thread, but I’d give the 2009 Croix Beaune Greves a whirl. David Croix tends to produce wines with plush fruit, a style augmented by the ripe 2009 vintage. He has been using less oak lately, but there’s still a good slather of oak in the 2009s. This might be a good crossover wine for you.

Alain Burguet - Gevrey Chambertin Mes Favorites 2005

I have had this wine recently and it is drinking beautifully now. Burguet makes wines in a lower acid style. This had tons of lush fruit.

tremblay chambolle musigny les cabottes 2011

Having fun with this thread - ordered a few of the suggestions here. My wife would really like a low acid, bright red fruit pinot without any herbal element and some of these sound like they might fit the bill.

+1

It’s like someone who loves beef, has tried other meats and keeps saying beef is his favorite, and pretty much only really eats beef, asking for sushi recommendations from Japan.

It’s expensive, you’re not going to like it, and you’re going to annoy the people who do like it when you state online how much you don’t “get” it.

Even when you compare tuna to beef. It’s the closest thing, but besides color, is completely different.

I feel like a lot of people want to drink burgundy because they think they should like it. It’s completely fine to just pass.

I think Eric’s suggestions are good, as is Fourrier and Burguet. Just to see that the big deal is about in Burgundy–which I think is the unexpected (unprecedented?) levels of complexity–of which the wines are capable, I think you should try something older. Eric may have mentioned it, but F. Roblet Monnot - Volnay Santenots 2003 could be a good choice. Not so expensive, because Beaune, good vineyard, producer little-known, but, I think, sound, and Volnays tend to have this outrageous velvety mouthfeel, which can be a hoot!
The whole point of course is to enjoy.
J

Esp. since on the other thread he wrote: “I have probably tasted well over 100 burgs in my life”. Really, Alan, what do you think you are going to taste that you have not had before. Do you really enjoy knocking your head against a wall that much?

Can you explain to be how a pinot noir can be low acid and have “bright” fruit? Never had this combination before.

I just want to give it one last shot with “supposed expert” picks so if i have these bottles and still say Ugh, not for me then i know its just not meant to be and not because i never tried hard enough

I am concerned though that there is zero agreement on vintages to try, im certainly not wanting to buy wines just to see if they are OK, i was sort of hoping for a slam dunk sorta like if someone asked about a great Paso GSM i could just point them to Saxum and know my job was done

Some are still recommending 2005’s allthough these should not be opened for a decade at least

It’s all relative Howard. She doesn’t like many Jadots, and most American Pinots have a green element to them she doesn’t care for either. However, a more feminine profile that’s got resolved tannins and not as noticeable acid, like '95 Ponsot Chapelle-Chambertin or '83 Drouhin Charmes-Chambertin, is more to her taste. If I could find a Pinot that’s not $200+ a bottle, with more fruit and less tannins / acid, she’d be happy. I’d buy jammy Pinots if I could get my hands on them but they’re always sold out. Must be a reason for that, eh?

Sounds like she likes mature wines rather than young ones. Look at 2002 Burgundies, esp. from Chambolle or Volnay.

While Fourrier is one of my top 3 favorite producers in Burgundy, I don’t know if I would recommend any of the recent vintages (2011-2013) to someone that wanted to check out the region for the first time. The bottling used to run $40/ and just isn’t worth it near $100 it can command. The initial nose/palate of the 2011-2013 GC VV’s can be a bit off-putting, so I would recommend some “friendlier” styles:

2012 or 2013 Drouhin OR Bertheau Chambolle Musigny (A/C or 1er Cru)
2012 or 2013 Hubert Lignier Gevrey Chambertin or Morey St. Denis

Unlike Fourrier, it should be easier to find these names and they should run between $50-85 (depending if you pay up for 1er Cru, which really isn’t necessary). I also think that those Chambolle Musigny will be a prettier drink compared to the Fourrier.

I am not saying that you’ll go “wrong” with Fourrier, but there might be better starter producers out there.

Good luck!

Here’s a slightly offbeat suggestion.

The Domaine/Maison Louis Jadot - Pommard Grands Epenots 2003 might be quite good. I haven’t had this wine but Jadot did very well in 2003 and the ones I’ve had were drinking well earlier this year (at one of our monthly blind wine dinners).

If it hasn’t shut down yet Domaine/Maison Louis Jadot - Chambolle Musigny Les Baudes 2009 should also be quite good. But I haven’t tried any 2009s recently to have a feel for how the vintage is doing.

If the 2005 Burguet is still open as David says then it’s a fine choice. Price has gone up but it’s still a good value year in and year out.

+2

You came, you drank, you disliked. Why pursue further?

But, if you insist, I hear California makes reallll good Bur-gin-dee these days! [cheers.gif]

To add to my experience this year with the Burguet, here’s the other two 2015 tasting notes from CT:

9/30/2015 - empire80 Likes this wine: 92 Points
Textbook burgundy. Bought a case of this after a Berry’s tasting in 2009, but was warned it might go through a “dumb” phase. So this is the first of 12, and definitely worth the wait! Quite earthy, some black fruit, hint of oak, gentle acidity. This went superbly with mushrooms cooked in truffle oil.

4/6/2015 - Blair Curtis wrote: 93 Points
Fantastic wine. Hard to believe this is just village wine. Young still, but this has everything it needs. A triumph!

Try a 2007. For example a Denis Mortet Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru.

Skip the reds and pick up a 2010 Vincent Girardin Corton Charlemagne at Binny’s. Now, that’s what a $100 bottle of white Burg should taste like.