Burgundy Help

What Bout the 1985 clos frantin clos vougeot if the store vouches for the condition.

I liked the idea of the Mugnier NSG but that seems very expensive compared to WS, seems like it should be $60 not $85

I’m surprised Mugnier appeals to you, since they’re finesse oriented, and I was assuming you were looking more on the power/density side.

Dennis

Its new world but see if you can track down Pisoni 2010 pinot, the regular bottle not the Garys vineyard or the estate. This would i believe fit nicely with your wifes taste

Eric

You would be correct for my general style however im trying to branch out and experience something as burgy as possible

Alan, for a ready-to-drink red Burg that is distinct and Burgundian in its approach while still showing ample fruit, you really can’t go wrong with a 2011 Rene Leclerc Gevrey-Chambertin for $50 at Binny’s. It was my WOTN among 40+ bottles at an in-store tasting a few months back.

Mugnier NSG will likely underwhelm you.

A nice Mugnier Chambolle is a different story, though just over your price range.

To me Burgundy is a journey. If the wine does not appeal to you - Saxum is what you like - you are wasting time trying to find one that appeals to those inclinations. You will never be happy trying Burgundies and you would be searching for Burgundies that are not true to their character. I would not waste my time until you find something that really inspires you. Why not just find nice Cabs etc… in the area that you enjoy. A different journey but pleasurable nevertheless.

Have you tried Maison Ilan?

You’re such a [stirthepothal.gif] !!! [snort.gif]

I recall being recommended that before. I’ll put it on the list. Thanks!

EDITED for stupidity.

Drinkng Burgundy is like Musky fishing, until you have cast your line 10,000 times you arent going to real in that keeper.

Since I have two bottles of 2011 in my stash that is not totally true! [whistle.gif]

These kind of wines definitely exist. We had an Aloxe-Corton 2009 from Dupasquier at the weekend and I’d describe it as low-acid but with bright fruit. It’s not the greatest wine on earth but it was true to its origins. Obvious Pinot noir character, relatively complex but retaining plenty of juiciness to make it a good match with both the grilled Pintade dish and the Saint Marcelin cheese we were eating. It costs me 15€ from an outlet in Nuits Saint Georges.

I repeat myself:
the odds that any 2005 will be in a disapointing stage now are 9:1 …
The Clos Vougeot 1985, although well above 100,- , is a very fine choice - and last time I had it it was really singing, THAT will give you an idea of a mature Burg.

Gerhard, you are dead wrong about the lower-level 2005s, especially those made in a more forward style. Unless you’re basing your advice off of practical experience with the wines, you should demure to those who are actually trying them.

I have had maybe 10-20 lower 2005s in the past year. Bourgognes and village wines mainly, some lesser 1ers. With the exceptions of wines from notoriously backwards producers, they are ready. They may not be at the tippy top peak (though some are!), but none have been shutdown.

I have no doubt that good 1ers have a long way to go. Had a 2005 Angerville Taillepieds the other week that was clamped shut. But a 2005 Bernard Morey Santenay 1er was pleasingly mature just the week before that. Another set of data points: all of my 2005 H-N village wines have been open, but a 1er was shut down.

Man, you Burg guys are persistent.

Alan, why not stick with Pisoni or KB, or possibly branch a little with “affordable”, more readily available US producers? If you start to head in a thinner/weedier/acidic direction, there’ll be Burgs to scratch your itch.

On 2nd thought…the laundry list of somewhat inconsistent reccos is entertaining.

RT

FIFY.

At the risk of being told that I just don’t like you, as in the other thread, I actually find this to be rather unusual as well. Typically bright = high acid. What is brightness in wine if not acidity? Ironically, the only other trait I’d think of as “bright” besides acidity might be a slightly underripe freshness, a touch of green, but that would almost always come with high acidity.

Also, can anyone else here corroborate greenness in CA PN? That is the last trait I’d expect to find in CA PN. Outside of the 2004 red Burgundy issues I don’t associate pinot with greenness generally, finding more vegetal characteristics in the cabernet family, and sometimes in Syrah in a green olive form. Maybe stem inclusion is what she takes issue with in PN. I don’t know how many CA pinot producers use a great deal of stem inclusion, but some people are quite sensitive to this.

+1