Burgundy Help

Alan this exercise (although fun for me) seems like the total wrong direction for you. I too have only had maybe about 50+ bottles of Burgundy and they are (in my experience) the total opposite of what both you AND your wife want.

Bright fruit, no floral or earth and no acid? That sounds like a bottle of pinot that’s past its prime or maybe some at their prime. Pinot at it’s prime is supposed to have some acid and/or tanin otherwise a “bright” red fruit wine will taste sweet and disjointed/unbalanced.

That’s going to get expensive real quick unless she really does like the past it’s prime taste.

I find it odd that what you don’t want is exactly what Burgundy’s are typically delivering.

Chile, New Zealand, Oregon and California all make awesome pinot and have many that would get you closer to what you’re describing.

It’s my wife that wants the mild Pinot. Alan’s tastes are totally different - he wants a more powerful Califonia-esque Burgundy.

David, (and Eric),

you seem to think that I did not taste any 2005s … this is “deadly wrong”. I´ve had more than a dozen over the year, from regional ACs to GCs (most not from my cellar, but granted, usually only good producers) - and the results were usually not enjoyable …

But I think the issue is our totally different understanding of

they are ready.

what is ready (mature)!

If “ready” means for you, the wine is fluid, shows some kind of (red) fruit, often still wood influence, but also quite a lot of tannins with an acidic bite, shows no aromatic developement at all, but has a decent finish - which might go well with some dishes - ok, then you´re right.

My understanding of mature is different.

But for your peace of mind: I will be demure regarding this thread in the future!

Yeah, I think there’s either two possibilities, one of which is you’re making it up, the other is you have some sort of frigid cellar and your bottles develop at an atypically slow rate. Pretty much everyone I know in the states is reporting that many lower-level 2005s are coming out of their shell.

Making it up???
I really think that most (all?) Village wines are far mor enjoyable in other vintages like 2000, 2001 and 2007 than 2005. Notwithstanding “they are coming out of their shell”

Yes, making it up. There is this bizarre fetishizing of aging Burgundies within an inch of their lives. Village burgs, from producers that aren’t making particularly backwards wines, do not require 15-20 years of aging to enter the plateau of drinkability. It’s a ridiculous proposition, untethered from reality and probably deriving from the (correct) proposition that high-level burgundies really do need and benefit from that amount of age. But village wines have less tannin, less oak, often are made to be less extracted. Saying they are untouchable until age 15 or age 20 is just a way of signifying with an old/deep cellar.

Now, if you’re saying particular PRODUCERS or bottlings need that kind of time, I’m 100% in agreement. I had a Lafarge CdBV the other month that was years away. People were discussing Dugat in another thread, they’re not going to be ready. Gouges. Etc. And certainly higher level bottles aren’t close.

But general rule - even from a dense vintage like 2005, an ordinary village burgundy will start to be ready at around age 10. It may not be at the peakity peak but its on the plateau.

PS - some village 2000s are OTH. Not fried but not as good as they were a couple of years ago.

This is what I don’t get. Alan loves wine enough to have posted over 1000 things on WB yet when he says he wants to explore Burgundy, some other members pigeonhole him into some ignoramus lover of Californian blockbusters. What is wrong with you people?

I’m not quite there at “they are ready” but I’ve had quite a few 05s lately from village up to GC that are pretty open. Still primary and a touch oaky on some but very enjoyable still. Definitely not mature though. But at this stage they are far from disappointing like Gerhard is saying.

Who said anything about “ignoramus”? Troll-ish, yes, which is different. Not pleading guilty to your charge…but the short answer is: “because we’ve read some of those 1000+ things”.

RT

Can you ever learn to read?

Burgundy & Beaujolais, not impressed - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers (see especially posts 1 and 123).

Juhooooo neener - we are going to heaten up our cellars, so that the 2005 will be eventually accessable soon.
Or are most 2005 Burgundies that found the way over the ocean already heat damaged … and easy foreward to drink?

What a silly statement above. [swoon.gif]

FWIW I had two Bachelet CdNuits-Villages the other week, the 2005 was simply one dimensional and no fun to drink, while the same wine from 2001 was a great pleasure.

Not again!

I think most of us need a dose of these:

+1

OK

I give up

I have a kind offer from Dennis to trade Old world for New world wines which im going to complete but otherwise this is turning ugly. It seems as if enthusiasm and emotional statements are not permitted anymore and any strong opinion is trolling, even the fact that i thought twice about and reached out for guidance still has me labelled as a troll and ignorant even though in this thread i have said absolutely nothing to offend even a church mouse. It seems there will always be a large portion of berserkers whose primary enjoyment is scouring posts to critique and degrade others. I am an emotional feelings on the sleeve type of guy and i will always say whats on my mind, if this makes me a troll then so be it but im not going to be scared of free speech just because of the berserker bullies like Howard Cooper and Richard Trimpi.

All i did on this thread was reach out with an open mind to get suggestions for burgs to try as a wine tasting exercise, should it matter that i had been mean to burgundy earlier ? in intelligent company concession of wrong doing and open mind is considered a good thing, not on here it is viewed as shark bait.

There are around twenty members here with whom i have traded or bought/sold to and this to me is what the forum should be about, making friends, trying wines and enjoyment. Not being scared of being who you are, wine is designed to stir emotions, i dont care what wine you drink if it doesnt create any emotion at all then its a crap wine.

So you win guys, this thread can die so Howard & Richard can feel good that they showed the nasty guy how stupid he is.

I will be popping a nice Denner tonight with ribs just to forget about this issue.

Wow. Two whole pages of thoughtful suggestions from people who took the time to read the link you posted of available wines, think about your request in the context of your palate and share their suggestions with you, and now you’re taking your ball and going home?

If possible, that’s yet a classier move than your original “Burgundy – I’m not impressed” thread.

I’m still trying to understand how Alan ended up with Dennis’ wife. I must have missed an episode.

Plenty of people gave you thoughtful suggestions. Two people said don’t waste your money because you most likely won’t like the wines based on your prior comments.

You’re making a mountain out of an ant hill right now with this post.

Sorry, your right

Having a shitty day at work and overeacted

Alan, What about buying some 2005’s and saving them until you find a Burgundy that you like? Then you’ll have well aged Burgs in your cellar and be happy to have them from a stellar year?

Finally someone acknowledges my recommendation! But what do i know about burg…