Burgundy restaurants?

You’re welcome Jerry and if you stop by La Goutte d’Or in winter you have a chance to dine next to the fireplace.
Winter is much less touristy and we had this experience with my wife not long after the restaurant change of ownership (previously ok food for tourist buses), nobody in the restaurant, just us, the fireplace, Yuki for service and Thomas in the kitchen, still remember the nice Bresse chicken main course (full course was something around 25€…).

1 Like

Gautier - I have been to France about 30 times but never in July or August and only once in June to go to the 60th D-Day anniversary. I love going in the fall and winter months when the villages have few tourists.

Jerry - great call, France is basically closed in August anyway… [oops.gif]
Fall is a great sight in the vineyard. I like spring, especially in the mountains, but spring is beautiful everywhere in the world (and estates are really busy in the spring, harder to visit).

I once went in May when the weather was perfect and there were not that many people around.

1 Like

Gautier,

I have not been to Caves Madeleine since Lolo left there. [I have had lunch a couple of times at La Dilettante since then.] Has Caves Madeleine changed much since then and, if so, in what ways? Thanks.

Not Gautier, but I’d say the food is even better. Lolo’s new place La Diletantte is a very fun wine bar with a nice ambiance and small plates. So it’s a win win for Beaune.

1 Like

There have been ups and downs over the years (changes of personnel) but the cooking has been on fine form of late, and I have been really enjoying my meals there. Squab pigeon with a rich shallot jus paired with a 1969 Moulin-à-Vent made for a pretty good lunch last time I went in…

Nice!!! I told myself don’t look at this thread. It is killing me that I can’t go to Burgundy!!!

1 Like

Me too! Although I will hopefully be back in Beaune quite soon…

Another nice place to eat is La Superbe.

Thank you.

Yep.

Is that in Beaune?

Yes! Great food, and a nice list.

Now, the hard part, getting to Beaune.

Early last year, one of our producers took us to a charming and tiny place on Rue Maufoux called La Buissonnière. Limited menu but some of the best ris de veau I’ve had (paired beautifully with a ‘59 Savigny Haut Jarrons). I hope they’ve weathered the COVID storm.

Going to Beaune next week on a last minute escape from London (of course when it will hit the high 90s and most growers are gone for holiday); right now have meals booked at Au fil du Zinc, Soufflot, and also a couple nice spots in the Champagne region on the drive down. Thanks for all the recs in the thread.

Please do update the thread on your experiences at the spots you end up going. And don’t ignore the recommendation for La Maison du Colombier - a great wine bar to stop by for a drink prior to one of your dinners.

Interested to hear how Au Fil du Zinc is nowadays. Apparently it’s a new owner now?

Au fil du zinc was wonderful, great wine list at great prices, and the food was well executed and the best plating/visuals of any meal we had on the trip. Would go back in a heartbeat.

Very nice to hear. Can’t wait to dine there again.