Cali Cab producers who make fine Sauvignon Blanc

Frankly, I think the best in Dan’s actual price range is Mondavi Reserve, also a nod to Flora Springs and Charles Krug, and St. Supery and Rutherford Ranch as a sleeper both under $15.

I had a St Supery the other day and considered it very good for below $15. But doesn’t Dan hate grapefruit?

We drank four cases of Hall SB this past summer
flirtysmile

I don’t taste a ton of Napa SB, but did like the '18 Amici SB, which was a KL closeout under $20. More fig and melon fruit than grapefruit, and minimal oak, but with decent acidity. I’d imagine the real price is $30 or less?

+1. I am not a white wine fan, but I really like the Duckhorn Sauv Blanc. Also really enjoy Illumination as well (but higher in price).

Good call!

Delicious!

Peter Michael L’Apre Midi is above 30 bucks but is near perfect.

Spottswoode, as mentioned!

I am sure there will be more that come to mind.

Buoncristiani-excellent SB & outstanding Cabernet. Been with them for 10+ years.

Which SB? Napa? They have a couple.

The Napa.
We like the other as well.

Wow! A lot of great replies, including old faves, names I know for wines other than SB and completely new names. I have to comment that most of you misread my OP. I set $30 as a ceiling, not a floor!

Some comments on some specifics: Spotteswoode has been a special-occasion go-to for me for decades, including the Sauvignon Blanc, which is barely over my limit and well worth it.

Heitz!?! I’ve probably had 50 Heitz wines in the last 50 years, I don’t ever remember a Sauvignon Blanc! At ~$20, I’m in.

Thanks to Ed Steinway who hit a trifecta for me. Love Cliff Lede as a producer, haven’t had the SB but an easy one to try. I’ve had several vintages of Frog’s Leap, always enjoyed them, time to revisit. And Dry Creek has been a favorite for decades, although I drink more of their reds than whites.

Massican is at my limit, but so many reccos that I will try it.

I like Grgich Hills SB, but IIRC it needs some bottle age, not remotely a fault, but a consideration.

Becheur sounds great for many reasons, don’t know how I’ll get it to Maine, but I’m going to try. Charles Krug is a favorite.

There are a few suggestion from producers I prefer not to buy from, for various reasons: Duckhorn, Quintessa, Robert Mondavi, Martin Ray.

But so many great suggestions that I will have lots of new things to try.

Thanks, board!

Dan Kravitz

K&L is blowing out the 2017 at $22/bottle right now: 2017 Grgich Hills "Estate" Napa Valley Fumé Blanc - SKU 1474627

So that may help a little bit on both fronts… I picked up three yesterday.

Totally get the Mondavi thing, but missing out on Savignon Blanc from historic To-Kalon is something that shouldn’t be missed, parent company aside. No one else can make or mimic this.

We were supposed to read it? Oh. [pwn.gif]

I grabbed a few bottles of Massican SB (and Annia) yesterday. Looking forward to trying them. Both at $29.99.

Riverain and Myriad/Quivet are both in your price ceiling, both make cab, and both are mighty tasty.

Arkenstone

Second the Myriad/Quivet recommendation. Mike Smith’s SB wines are simply delicious.

Shared Notes…This is expensive but the best of the best. Two great winemakers. This much like a bordeaux white from a Grand Cru house.

Purely staying with Cab producers.

Mondavi I Block Fume is outstanding.

Larkmead, no question.

Hourglass is super solid, and if it still holds true, is from Larkmead (it was when they launched it).

Mending Wall’s white (it’s a blend) is also outstanding, but may not qualify here since there is Semillon in it.

We have enjoyed Jean Edwards, Bedrock, and Honig (especially the Rutherford) this summer.