California cabernet, current producers in the Old School

Tex, I appreciate it. I realize I’m being difficult.

Think of i tlike this, as this is how I always think about it being formerly ITB. You go to a retailer, you say I like X what do you have? They give you Y and you say Y was OK, but not really what I wanted. In the end you zero in on what you are looking for.

My intensions are not to be dismissive of your suggestions, but to hone in on exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks for humoring me. If I try an AVC any time soon, I’ll be sure to post.

That’s exactly why I asked here. No one at my normal home would have a clue.

Broman, thanks.

There’s always that hip and trendy newcomer called Robert Mondavi Winery…

[smileyvault-ban.gif] flirtysmile pileon neener

Seavy and Togni and Forman and Dunn and Dominus

Togni and Dominus with some age…I cant lead you too far off the path like King Cab’s knowledge, but those two producers always make me smile.

Seavey is a good call too…

Curious about these, myself. I liked Beringer back when you got hit so hard with the eucalyptus that you felt like a Koala, but the ones I’ve tasted the last ten years have less of that quality. (Of course, some might not like that.)

I like Corison - and you get some comparative value there.

Mondavi Oakville kinda fits the bill (on the less pricey side).

Interesting. When I read this thread, I realize how closed minded I have become, and how much I dislike the cabs of yeas gone by. I am so happy the options have multiplied and cali winemakers stopped emulating France, and started bringing us wonderful fruit filled joys like Merus, Schrader, Buccella, and the like. I would not drink a Togni for all the tea in China! hitsfan

I haven’t met a Beringer PR Cab from 1985 to 2001 that I have at least liked, and more often than not, loved.

Mike- What is about Togni’s that turn you off? Just curious on your preferences in what you look for since I was interested in some of your above recs

Seo, never in my world do I drink a wine and say “Wow, this will be amazing in 15-20 years!” [basic-smile.gif]

Its the Austerity and the oak treatment that gets me, and I am not one to usually shy away from extremes.

When I have a preference, I will always opt for the fruit filled lots of love cabs. Its not to say I dont enjoy the more subdued type, just not to often these days. Tomorrow I have a dinner with a bunch of 80s Spottswoodes. It should be interesting.

My list above certainly fits the ‘correct cab’ mold. I would also add that Corison has never floated my boat, and I am sure its for all the same reasons. I want my cabs to be dead by age 10. That just means they served me well for 9.25 years…pileon

Nathan -

The correct answer is Renaissance. No need to look any further. Mayacamas is also an acceptable answer although there ain’t much point buying the new ones when the old ones pop up all the time for the same money. The same goes for Mt. Eden.

All of the other answers you’ve gotten so far are wrong.

Tasting notes to back that up would be appreciated.

Do you REALLY want to read that drivel?

Mike- Completely agree with you on the austerity and oak. Usually a turn off for me, but something about it in Togni does it for me. I used to HATE Togni but a friend turned me onto a bottle with 10+ years and I was pretty into it (not saying you havent had some with age). Given your description of the fruit that you like, I will definately be seeking out some of your recs. I think our palates are pretty aligned in that sense. I recall seeing tons of Corison on winebid lately…unless you have a better sourcing rec.

I know Renaissance, I was just hoping for somethings I didn’t know about (and from better terroir). Maybe someone like Copain or Ojai, re-thinking what they were trying to do and moving in a different direction or someone who has always made wines in a style I might like but is under the radar so that I wouldn’t know about them.

I didn’t love the 85 (or most 85s) but have had the 1986 and 1987 with my dad many times over the years. Nice wines.

Had a couple of Seavey’s recently that had another name to them as well, can’t remember. They didn’t taste at all like what I remember from the 90,91,92 vintages. Those were big wines, to be sure, but very structured.

In any event, I didn’t like those versions of Seavey. To soupy for me. Is there a second wine or something?

Its amazing how Keith can accomplish making his reco the ‘ONE’-- all while discounting anyone else’s, all with one wave of the hand no less, all with no supporting back info–pretty good parlor trick.

Everyone else gets 51 points

We get it, the Renaissance is auster, it’s obscure, it’s from a hill miles away from Napa, the latest release is the 1973…we get it. And no, I have not had it.

I don’t know Merus or Buccella, but my one run-in with Schraeder was unpleasant and, as I understand it, it’s too expensive for me to justify buying bottles to try.

I have had really excellent Togni, but they are really tricky.

I think that emulating France is not the right way to think about it. There was certainly a model. That model has changed, for better or worse, depending on where you sit. What I was hoping for was some suggestions for producers that are either ignored or new that are to a style I might like given what I’ve put forward as thing that I like. I am very far removed from that world and don’t know what’s going on.

I’m a Burgundy, Barolo, Loire guy, so I start with grower first and move from there.

I also realize that my tastes are idiosyncratic even if I also happen to think I’m right. There would be no discussion if people didn’t think they were right and also in disagreement. I also realize that my academic background makes me prone to be this kind of dialogue.

I just remembered one that I liked. Long Meadow Ranch 1996. It was supposedly under 13% abv.