California Cult

Seems to me that MacDonald is a different beast than these so called over ripe oaky cabs. Will have to give it a try-thank you! And yes, I never really considered Spottswodde the same as the ones I mentioned.

[rofl.gif]

Do you think Araujo’s style changed since the takeover?

I can see this view, but I can also see including MacDonald as the new entry in the “cult” category. It seems to tick most of the boxes: highly rated (deservedly so), very limited, mailing list only availability, significant aftermarket price increase, etc …

So even though big, not overpowering as some of the others that I mentioned?

I’ll definitely check it out! Thanks for the suggestion!

Had an 06 kapscandy estate cab, was pretty good. More Bordeaux in style, not sure it’s considered a cult cab, and I don’t think I would ever pay retail, but was an excellent wine.

I think this thread just took it from they are all over ripe Parker bombs to excepting them one by one until they are all now made classically from the Loire. :slight_smile:

Haha, I don’t mind hearing about what people enjoy instead!

I’ve had 2 ‘07 Schraders and 1 ‘08 Maybach. Maybach is much better.

MACDONALD is in a class by itself. I recently opened a 2014, and it was rocking.

If I’m rating:

1. MACDONALD
  2. Maybach (close 2nd).
  3. Schrader

Dan

But not undercharged. They seem to have that part down.

Here are my tasting notes from last New Year’s Eve:

If Cabernet is grown in the right place and the winegrower wants to make great wine and knows how to do it, the result will be wines that will age to greatness.

I have no idea what Colgin wines are like today, this is the only one of their wines I’ve had.

Ya wanna talk about High Praise? I thought it was from the Santa Cruz Mountains!

I haven’t had most of the other wines mentioned, but I have had
Harlan
Bryant
Schrader
Abreu

Unfortunately none of the others were even ten years old, so of course not great.

Harlan was really impressive, which is not the same as great.
Bryant was only four years old, but I thought it would become great.
Schrader was wonderful, but all primary.
Abreu Madrona, at close to 10 years, was fabulous, it just needed another decade for greatness.

It’s a free country. If you own these wines and want to drink them young, that’s your prerogative. But if you want to taste them in their glory, please wait.

Dan Kravitz

:100:

Appreciate the note Dan. I guess there is another question of ageability of these types of wines. Schrader that you had, albeit primary, you didn’t think it was too rich or heavy?

I know they are a very very small producer, but I did a tasting with Kinsman eades and really loved both of their wine and i don’t typically like the normal “napa cab”.

I agree completely. I think it’s only not a cult wine if you define cult as “wines I don’t like” but you like MacDonald.

Sine Qua Non is clearly a cult wine too, though not Cabernet.

I drink tons of Cali cab … I like everything from the more “old school” producers like Togni, Heitz, Mayacamus, etc to the bigger “culty” stuff. I enjoy all of them for what they are. I actually just had an 07 Bond St Eden last Saturday and found it super enjoyable. It‘ s clearly a new world wine, so if that just doesn’t float your boat, then you’re never going to like it, but fruit was pure and tannins were silky and sexy. Brought it to our favorite restaurant locally … I had it with some sort of mushroom/farro/something (I forget what it was, but you get the idea) starter and beef tenderloin main. Loved it with both.

Here’s a question, is there a completely un-oaked Napa cab?

*disclaimer: I’m not anti-oak, just curious.

2012 is also on the riper side. 2013 is more structured and age-worthy, though I’ve been surprised at how well they’re drinking now. If you really want to try an expensive, cult wine from a long-aging vintage, but with plenty of bottle age, look for a 2001 Harlan, Bond, or Abreu. They will be a lot less jammy than the '07 you had. Still too much for some people on this board, but to each their own. They’ll all be pretty expensive. Somewhat less expense -but less cultish - options are 2001 Phelps Insignia or Shafer Hillside Select.

The other option is to find 2011 versions. This is a very lean vintage and some people consider it to be more old world in style. I had a 2011 Promontory on a visit there last year, and was shocked at how good it was. (Part of the Harlan family.) The good news is they will be much less expensive than more highly rated vintages.

Always worth reaching your own conclusions.

1 Like

Pics???