Can someone please explain Louis Jadot?

I’m telling you I didn’t actually know!

I see what you did there! [rofl.gif]

As with others, there are some Jadot wines I find top notch and others which I am less impressed by. Not surprising given the wide range of wines they bottle.

The real tragedy is the whites some of which used to bear comparison to the best and now bear comparison to the worst premox offenders.

You need to consider following the Beaune Cras. From old vines that were part of the Château de Chorey and some of the best vine genetics in all of Jadot’s Beaune holdings. Plus one of the best terroirs. The 2015 is particularly superb.

im really glad you asked this because its been something I’ve wondered before too. my intro to Jadot was the lower end wines that can be found fairly universally, and I have been confused when I started seeing higher end site wines. glad to have it cleared up!

For the OP, whose knowledge of French Wine is limited, Jadot is a solid introduction to many crus (but not all) and are generally widely available and less $$$ than better artisan producers, so I find Jadot quite useful in that respect. Once you learn more you will no doubt quickly move on from Jadot, but it has its place for sure.

I’ve always thought Les Rugiens was considered quite top notch for a 1er, no?

I think it depends on which Rugiens, Bas or Haut. The former is supposed to be better and is often mentioned separately.

+1

I like Jadot wines more than most of the people on this thread seem to like Jadot’s wines (talking reds here, not whites). I have traditionally found them to be excellent values. When I could get Beaune premier crus (other than Clos du Ursules, which was higher) in the $30s and GC Clos St. Jacques and some of their lesser grand crus for around $100, I thought the wines were excellent values. Maybe if you looked Clos St. Jacques vs. Clos St. Jacques with producers like Rousseau or Fourrier the wines would not be as good, but if you looked at $100 for Jadot vs. $100 for other producers, you could do very well.

But, the wines have gotten more expensive in the last few years and are no longer to me where I find value in Burgundy. So, I am happily drinking the wines I have, but don’t see myself buying more until things change.

Amazing
An American owned French negociant making one of the (5) best CSJ
WHO KNEW???
After 5 years
Cmon

Interesting, I don’t do much with Beaune 1er but will look for this bottling. The point about vine genetics is one that is rarely discussed but of supreme importance, IMO. The base vegatative material can have a tremendous effect on the end product. There are a lot of garbage clones out there.

I would add that, like Bueker, I really like the Corton Pouget sand it is often an excellent value as in you can get a case from a top vintage for less than the price of a bottle of Rousseauc CSJ.

Very well said… champagne.gif

Domaine wines owned for decades are incredible wines.

The first wine they had in the portfolio was the Beaune Clos des Ursules and it remains one of the best wines in their portfolio. As noted above the part of Beaune Cras they got from Chateau de Chorey a few years ago after Benoit Germain died is very fine. They make so many great wines. Chambolle Fuees and Chambolle Baudes. Corton Pougets (Poujets). Chambertin Clos de Beze. Bonnes Mares they got from Clair-Dau. Gevrey Chambertin Clos St Jacques. On and on. You just have to know what you are buying from them.

Chambertin Clos de Beze is, in my view, Jadot’s best wine.

In addition to those already mentioned, Jadot’s Rugiens and Nuits Boudots can be great.

I have experienced both good and nondescript bottles of Jadot. Price is the lure. Not buying Jabot any more but I like the ‘new’ version of Faiveley is pretty smart. Although, often being classified as Negotiant , they have lots of Domaine wines and I have been more impressed with them. Step up in price though (cf Jadot).

Agreed. It’s of decisive importance. People would be shocked if they saw some of the “patates” (or potatoes, as the locals call them). Might post some pictures this harvest.

I’ve been super-critical of the flaws of the whites over the years, but there are certain reds that I always liked a lot and found to be relative values. Most of them have been mentioned already, but I would add the Estournelles St. Jacques as one that has generally delivered for me.

Yes on the Estournelles. I bought a case of the 2001 many years ago, and it has been consistently delicious.

I’ve never been a fan of some of the lower ranges, but the Clos St. Jacques and the Clos St. Denis/Clos de la Roche I’ve had have been quite good.

The advantage too, of course, is that they’re reasonably cheaper. I like the Fourrier CsJ a lot more, but buying that ever year hurts more and more.

My experience with their Bourgogne is not good, very disappointing showings, so won’t ever buy those again. I have a couple of their higher end options laying down but have never tried them.