Can someone please explain Louis Jadot?

I have also liked some of their better value wines from Beaune and Savigny over the years like the Beaune Clos des Couchereaux and Greves and the Savigny-lès-Beaune Narbantons.

Other major house wines I have liked for value over the years have included Bouchard’s Beaune Clos du Chateau and Drouhin Chorey les Beaune.

I had a mid 80s Jadot Le Montrachet 2 years ago that was magnificent. The 1990 Corton Pougets at 20+ years out was also magnificent. The low level wines are my safe bet on restaurant wine lists. Not spectacular but enjoyable.

But if you really want to know, ask Leo. As someone once said of him, never argue with a guy who buys Jadot by the pallet load.

The 2010 Meursault Charmes was quite the head turner on release. I bought a half case based on that first bottle and it was like buying a pack of baseball cards, as all showed quite a bit different with one pretty badly pox’d. Most were very enjoyable however, with a couple hitting some pretty high highs.

But if you really want to know, ask Leo. As someone once said of him, never argue with a guy who buys Jadot by the pallet load.

Good point. Where is he? He can explain better than anyone.

I appreciated it. Your sarcasm , not so much

[cry.gif]

Jason- thank you for your kind words.

Rory- agreed that Rugiens is considered top notch Pommard, but among burgundy fans. When I referred to the “A-List”, I was speaking to the vineyards that drive a lot of the market action today which includes a lot of people who have not studied the region. There are no Pommards on the “A-List”, nor indeed even Beaune wines. And that is part of why I think there is the mismatch in the current market- Jadot is asking strong prices for strong wines, but the labels do not say what a lot of buyers want. If they made a full array of Vosne-Romanee 1er crus, it would be an entirely different story.

I suppose if you are going to send salesmen out into the world you need more than a few parcels in the Cote d Or, so
Drouhin makes wine in Oregon as well as Macon/Beaujolais
Bouchard owns Wm Fevre and Henriot
The people who own Jadot also have interests in Domaine Carneros, St Francis and Sequoia Grove and jacques Lardieres has started to make wine in Oregon. The jadot people own a cooperage–or at leastpart of one-- as well.
Latour owns a winery in the Ardeche and maybe another. They have their own cooperage too.
The Boissets own wineries in California, the Beaujolais, and the Rhone

It seems to me that the popularity of the Jadot Macon whites is what started it for them here.

Jadots Volnay Clos des Chenes 2015 really hit it in a 2015 tasting recently. Amazing wine, kne of the standouts in 16 wines tasted.

We sell Jadot so take it as you will, but I love the whites, and I hate the ox issue with them, they are so good young, especially Chevy Demoiselles, CC, and Montrachet that it is a shame that you can’t risk aging them. I have always liked their Chassagne stable of whites too, like Morgeot. As Paul mentions Pouilly Fuisse is solid quaffers for $.

On the red side they make some fantastic wines that demand age. Personal favorites are the entire Beaune portfolio, along with Clos St Jacques, ESJ, and Cazetiers, Bonnes Mares, Clos St Denis, Vosne Beaux Monts and Suchot, Chambolle Fuees and while I enjoy the Chateau des Jacques lineup of Cru Beaujolais, I don’t have the patience to age them that the winemaking and wood regime demand, I am just impatient.

Understand your point on Beaune and Pommard and kind of even Chapelle-Chambertin (although I have had some really good Chapelle-Chambertin, esp. from Rossignol-Trapet), but don’t understand VR Suchots and CM Fuees on your list.

I had half a case of 97 Côte de Nuits Villages , and the last were by far the best.

Chambertin - Clos de Beze

Thoughts?

One of their best

Louis Jadot Pouilly Fuisse was the Rombauer Chardonnay of the '70s. Everybody had trouble pronouncing it. Wine waiters learned to repeat it back to the customer the way he or she said it. Pully Foossy was the commonest.

Now we’re talkin’

and here i always thought it was fuzzy pussy…

I don’t really get why it’s a dig. They make a lot, and I’m sure it contributes more to their net income than their Clos de Beze. I didn’t say it was bad.

I think it’s a fine cru Beaujolais.

not to worry; BMOC was for the mo feeling empowered…

Mind your place Mr. Wright. I don’t recall giving you permission to speak. :wink:

1 Like

^
Snert

A-List Chambolle = Amoureuses
A-List Vosne-Romanee = Parantoux, Aux Reignots, Brulees, Malconsorts, Petit Monts

Mind you- I am just saying this is the A-List in terms of market demand. There are plenty of great wines not on the A-List (I got a 6 pack of 2015 Jadot Suchots myself), and I do not think the A-List is the way to build a good drinker’s cellar. But I do think it explains, along with the austerity in youth factor, why Jadot is not generally considered by a relatively uneducated Burgundy market (as compared to the past) to be as good as it really is.

2012 is where the disconnect really happened- at least in the Texas market. That is the vintage where a lot of retailers said no more. Fast forward to 2015, and it might be a different story going forward to the extent retailers can get back on the list. The burgundy market has gotten so heated in just a handful of vintages that a lot of Jadot wines are downright bargains today. $325 was aggressive for the 2012 Amoureuses, but the 2015 was the same price- though in 2015 the Drouhin version is $600, where in 2012 it was very close to the Jadot number (I do not recall exactly, but when offered both wines I do recall they were similarly priced.)

I paid $85 for 2015 Jadot Rugiens and $140 for Vosne Suchots. Those were screaming deals- and I found them sitting on a shelf where they should have been sold the day they hit the floor.