Can we stop creating topics including the word "baller"

So that answer is Yes and No.

We can stop using the word, but it’d simply be replaced by something else. “Balling” and “Berserking” are cut from the same cloth. [berserker.gif]

RT

I would ban misspellings in thread headings before I banned “baller” or balla."

What percentage of threads have “baller” in the title?

I am curious as to what people’s threshold for complaint might be.

FWIW, I always preferred the Vegas terminology. Whatever happened to good ol’ high rollers and whales?

[dance2.gif]

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110168

This is a wine board dedicated to people talking about higher end wine. Where is the cut-off. What can we talk about and what can we not talk about? When is it sharing with people who have the same hobby and when is it ostentatious?

The David Z standard seems to be what he does is fine and what everyone else does is not. Do we really want that to be the standard?

I argee

Calling Potter Stewart

I speak for the TREES!

What can we talk about and what can we not talk about?
Only your moderator knows for sure.

When is it sharing with people who have the same hobby and when is it ostentatious?
Well, they say as things approach the speed of light, everything unifies.

The David Z standard seems to be what he does is fine and what everyone else does is not.
He’s a peach.

Do we really want that to be the standard?
Where’s ASTM when we need them?

RT

I just skip those threads as well. If anybody needs to attache nicknames to tastings, wines etc - that is their right on this open board. It’s easy as heck to just ignore them.

I’d like a thread about how to cultivate others wine cellars. Clearly it is not working for me.

That’s because you already own all the wine

I guess you forgot to not open this one. champagne.gif

The rule is that ballas only share with other ballas.

Any threads where a non-balla is part of a balla thread?

[stirthepothal.gif]

This whole controversy is hilarious.

Name a hobby whose upper crust doesn’t post ‘look at me’ threads or post name checks between that hobby’s ballas. This is universal, from matchbox aficionados, Hi Fi hobbyists, or spoon collectors.

It’s part of the terrain.

The responses to balla threads in any hobby forum seem to divide into three groupings:

1. Non-ballas who go with “you the man” posts. (Chalk it up to vicarious living, sharing in others’ pleasure, or sycophancy - it’s all good.)

2. Fellow ballas who make a point of pointing out that they were there and calling slapping virtual high fives and saying, “You the man, balla! Great night. I was there, of course!”, or how they missed that one because they were busy with three chicks at once in their high rise penthouse hot tub, but see you fellow ballas in Monte Carlo in two weeks.

3. Non-ballas who wonder when the ballas will ever have any experience that isn’t the greatest ever and had a perfectly fine experience with a non-balla part of the hobby.

Balla posts are an expected part of any hobby forum.

There’s probably guys who have dinner at fancy restaurants and trade the rarest Disney pins or talk about finding the rarest Barbie Beach Condo sets and then post on a related forum.

Someone aptly called it ‘social signaling.’ Perfect. Nothing to get hung about.

I vote, sit back and enjoy. Ballas need the outlet.

Maybe we need a “Society Section” here?

Spy-beserkers

Just for clarification, I don’t like the word itself; it’s not that I don’t enjoy reading about high-end tastings of great wines. My original post was meant to be a bit of a joke.

It is now my favorite noun. I may buy a dog just so I can name it balla

Can someone tell me the dividing line between balla and ok? Where would you put the following:

1982 Canon
1982 Ducru
1982 Leoville las Cases
1982 Mission Haut Brion
1982 Latour
1980 Mayacamas
1985 Ridge Monte Bello
1997 Harlan
1999 Truchot Clos de la Roche
1999 Dujac Clos de la Roche
1999 Ponsot Clos de la Roche
1999 Clos des Lambrays
2001 Comte Vogue Musigny

Man, that was a great night! We tasted the schitt out of those!

That was only my 42nd time drinking those specific '82 Bordeaux in that combination and it never gets old.

I think I dropped my Piaget in one of the bowls of Beluga.

See you next week in Manhattan for the DRC vertical in the Per Se secret back room.

champagne.gif