Catastrophic Fires In Napa and Sonoma

I just heard from my son in western Sebastapol. Overwhelming smell of smoke - his bags are packed in case of evacuation. Schools in the area are closed and Santa Rosa Junior College, where he works, is closed. It is a very frightening situation.

G and H sections of Rohnert Park now being evacuated.

This is unreal, nauseating.

Thinking about all our friends and hope everyone is safe.

Still dealing with Irma cleanup here. It has been quite a year for disasters.

Be safe people!

We live in Danville, 45 miles to the south of Napa, and we woke up from the smell of the smoke around 2AM. We thought that the fire was nearby because of the smoke. The local news is reporting that cell service is not available for the majority of the residents in the Napa Valley and Santa Rosa.

Please be safe everyone.

Thanks,
Ed

Link to Statewide Fire Map. As a city boy, it blows my mind how many active fires there are in California right now.

Sending best wishes to all who are impacted by these devastating fires.

Terrible, terrible. Living in Colorado, I have seen my fair share of wildfires over the years. Things are never the same afterward. Sad.

I don’t like the sound of that

Reports cell service is down in some locations -may make it hard to reach folks.

I guess I was naive enough to think that following the big rains of late 2016/early 2017, the wild fire threat would be reduced this season.

Stay safe everyone!

Dropped off my kids for school and noted the smell of smoke and didn’t think much of it. Turned on the news and holy crap. Started as 7 separate fires (now down to 5) and now over 20k acres with plenty of structures damaged or just gone. This one is serious as the fires are getting too close to residential areas.

Fountaingrove Inn is gone, Hilton Round Barn as well as the barn are gone, John Ash and Co/Vintners inn is gone.

Wind is shifting to the North. A half hour ago I saw blue sky to the North and black acrid smoke to the East and South. It’s getting darker out and the blue sky is disappearing.

I was staying in a guest house in the Montecito Heights neighborhood of Santa Rosa. Hear someone pounding on my door at 3:15am and needless to say I didn’t answer. Called the owner in the main house and asked if he’d knocked and he said no. I actually woke him up. We met up outside and the smell of smoke was very strong and the sky was glowing. You could hear explosions off in the distance and one neighbor was describing how he drive up to Chanate road three times and the glow kept getting brighter. Took off around 4am and stopped in Berkeley. No clue what the outcome was for the neighborhood. But seeing multiple fires driving down 101 was really disheartening.

Esther Mobley has ongoing updates on her twitter:
https://twitter.com/Esther_mobley?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I wonder where the crews are setting up the NE line in Santa Rosa.

The fire is heading West. The NE end of town went up in smoke.

So downtown looks safe(ish)?

We are watching the press conference right now and ABC News is reporting the Tubbs fire is up to 35,000 acres and the Atlas Peak fire is at 8,000 acres with 0% containment. Devastating.

Thanks,
Ed

Heard from Merrill about 15 min ago. She said she is safe and keeping a close watch on situation.

Thanks for letting us know.