Catastrophic Fires In Napa and Sonoma

Brian – you evacuating or staying put? We are packed. Our whole street is, but unsure whether to wait for offical word to go…Sebastopol town is still safe but have friends in the unincorporated area who have been told to leave…ash is raining on the deck as I type.

Maureen Downey lost her home in the Santa Rosa hills from this fire - she’s in Hong Kong at the moment, I believe. Sucks not to be traveling during this time.

Signorello had the award-winning kitchen - they were one of the very few wineries in Napa with a permit to serve food.

One of Napa's Best Dining Experiences Isn't At a Restaurant -- It's at a Winery | HuffPost Life

I grabbed a screenshot of a map at the San Jose Mercury News, and tried to [very roughly] super-impose the locations of a few well-known wineries on top of it:
napa-fires_2017-10-09.png

From SF Chronicle:

"Overnight flames engulfed Silverado Trail, one of Napa Valley’s two main arteries, impacting the dozens of wineries on the stretch, including Signorello Estate.

The damage looks to be especially dire in some of Napa’s eastern hillsides such as Soda Canyon Road, Atlas Peak and Pritchard Hill, homes to some of Wine Country’s highest-regarded Cabernet vineyards, including Stagecoach, Antica, Colgin and Bryant.

Hall Winery is one of the many businesses with a vineyard on Atlas Peak. Like others, Hall is still wondering about potential impacts, according to Jamie Chandler, the director of marketing for Hall Winery. Similarly, Teagan Passalacqua of Turley Wine Cellars has heard that Mead Ranch, also on Atlas Peak, has burned, but is still awaiting confirmation.

In Sonoma County, Santa Rosa looks to be severely affected, extending down Mark West Springs Road, home to many industrial wineries, including Donelan."

Ugh. That is terrible news. (I think you meant to be traveling, not “not to be”)

Nonstop live streaming from ABC here - KGO News Live Streaming Video - ABC7 San Francisco

Donelan probably wouldn’t appreciate getting labeled an “industrial winery”.

These fires are mighty far apart to have occurred spontaneously & randomly.

My Spidey Sense is telling me that humans had a hand in this.

Humans with very nefarious motives.

fogline doesn’t have a lot of fuel around it, but that must be in the path if it’s tracking West now.

Does anyone know if Punchdown Cellars in Santa Rosa survived?

I hate that I also had this thought and sincerely hope that these are not intentionally caused fires.

A regularly updated wildfire map is here, as many have probably seen:

https://app.mapport.com/wildfire-viewer/?share=GHA2EGAY

Hoping the best for all our friends in the affected areas.

Bump for bookmark.

Horrible.
The last 4-6 weeks have been devastating to many of our friends and loved ones.
Please everyone be safe.

So far. Fires are popping up in Rincon Valley East of downtown. Glenn Ellen and Kenwood have been hit particulry hard.

I spoke to Merrill a little while ago. She is safe.

Looks really bad in Santa Rosa. Whole blocks of houses, apartments, and mobile homes are completely gone. Stay safe: Santa Rosa Fire: Kaiser Santa Rosa - YouTube

I spoke to Merrill a little while ago. She is safe.

I’m staying put for now. I’ve been going out and monitoring the smoke, wind direction. There’s a pretty big buffer zone between the affected areas and my home. I have the sfae packed and the dogs and cats can be rounded up quickly.