Cayuse is Live

Had an ‘09 En Chamberlin in May that was drinkimg splendidly from the pop of the cork. Beautiful fruit/funk balance. Perhaps a little more elegant than in its youth but not dramatically different.

1 Like

Tim – my sense is that they move towards more Rhone than CA with age. But I should qualify that while I have some experience with aged Rhone wines, I am by no means an expert. I will say that I find Cayuse to differ sometimes dramatically with the vintage. I think I have found the 04s or 05s to be much more chocolatey and extracted – more what I would think of as a CA syrah. But other vintages are very much not that. And if I remember correctly I had an 04 or 05 recently (sorry, I should just look it up but am typing quickly to go do bedtime with our almost 2 year old daughter) that was more of what I would think of as Rhone flavored. Again this is a generalization, but I find the Bdx blends (with perhaps Flying Pig an exception sometimes) as more of that extracted new world approach than the syrahs. Let me know if you get to Seattle (or are you in Seattle or nearby?) – I am happy to pull out some older ones for you to try!

After five years I still haven’t made the cut. Can someone please post the offering prices$$, just curious. [thankyou.gif]

They are sold as three packs. The per bottle price is (this is going from memory so I don’t have them all )

Biopic frog. 105
Armada, God Only Knows, Flying Pig, Impulsivo. 90
En Cerise, En Chamberlin, Cailloux 80

I think camaspelo is 80. Widowmaker might be 90?

Viognier is 65.

Hope this helps!

Edit: I see that my phone typing resulted in Biopic Frog rather than Bionic – an interesting idea for a new wine!

I think I signed up in '09 and got on 2 years ago. One of those years had a cork problem, so refunded which paid for this years offer. I have one WW mag in the cellar and a couple secondary market purchases. $80 for Cailloux, $175 for the WW mag + shipping.

Thanks Ron, no plans to get out there in the near future, but really appreciate the offer. I read some of your tasting notes on CT and all I can say is WOW, you’ve tasted a lot of very nice wine and clearly have a discerning palate. Cheers!

Tim-
I agree with Ron that the syrahs develop with more complexity than other CA syrahs and more in line with how some Rhone wines age. But, Cayuse has such a particular “funk”/sweet(but not cloying) fruit style that more often than not a bottle can be picked in a blind tasting as Cayuse and not a Rhone wine. To be clear - I happen to really enjoy these wines and have a ton in my cellar so I love the way these age.

Greg

Yes Greg is definitely right about the funk – and with some vintages I also detect what he describes as sweet – less cloying as he says; though for me it is often more chocolate (and sometimes even milk chocolate). To be honest I don’t particularly like the latter (milk chocolate). I have not found it present in many of the syrahs (a bit more sometimes in the Cayuse bdx blends, but even that varies). I have much more limited experience with comparable Rhone wines, but my sense is Greg is absolutely right that you can pretty easily tell a Cayuse wine blind (though perhaps it is a cousin – No Girls, Reynvaan, Horsepower). The point is that the WA rocks syrahs have a pretty distinctive flavor profile that I am not sure is present in the Rhone. The Seattle wine group is going to taste some older Cayuse syrahs next month – from 2000 to 2003 or 2004. We will also have one or two Rhones in the mix. It will be interesting to see how easy it is to spot the non-Cayuse syrahs, as well as to get a sense of how the Cayuse wines have developed after 15-20 years.

Wish List requests are being turned around quickly this year. Just received word that we were able to add Flying Pig to our allocation.

i heard a few people were added as well, crazy times

Added1 — 2017 IMPULSIVO 3 X 750 ML. I think I am only waiting on The Pig now.

Just got an email that I could order a 3 pack starting Sep 26.
Guess have to wait till next week to find out what they offer.

I received my Wish List email today and received the Widowmaker. I’ve had Wish List adds for the last 2 years now, so I’m pleased. I went about 3 years before that with no Wish List adds.

Also received the email that I can order a 3 pack on the 26th.

^Same here…been 10 years if I had to guess…lost interest TBH.

Why no more interest? The wines are pretty damn good.

When the wine will be delivered for this release? TIA.

+1

Adam, worth buying. I’ll bring some older bottles to Nashville next time I’m down there.

Wish list granted

I signed up back when I was trying a lot different producers and have developed a loyalty to a few that I’ve stuck with for 10+ years…do I really want to start fresh with a producer where I will need to buy an increasing amount year after year to get access to the better bottles? For me the answer is no.