Ceritas - Save the date 2/4/21

Wine Searcher lit up for five of the 2007 Porter Bass chards at K&L at $60 per 750ml. Easy decision. All five in my cellar at 52 degrees. I hope to try one soon. As a side note I buy in France from a Italian seller Wine Tip. They have a handful of California amongst hundreds of Italian and one is Ceritas Pinot - on the other side of the world.

The Cabernet is so aromatically beautiful right off the bat. So much green herbal notes like sage, menthol, pine. Elegant tannins.

Anyone have reviews for the upcoming spring release next month?

SPRING 2020 / FEB

2018 Trout Gulch Chardonnay
2018 Peter Martin Ray Chardonnay
2018 Occidental Pinot Noir
2018 Rivina Pinot Noir

There seems to be a few additions and subtractions to their yearly releases. I’d love to know more about those also. Rivina is a new Pinot from Ceritas for this February release. Maybe it’s a different name for Hacienda or Coastalina (those are not shown for release this year). The 2014 Trout Gulch Chardonnay was amazing last month!

For someone who has never tried Ceritas Pinot or Chard, what’s a representative bottling to try? Can I get away with a younger bottle, or should I try to find one with age?

Most of them need a few years aging. The 2014 Trout Gulch was a bit too acidic at the start, but it’s just starting to hit its stride. Drank a 2010 Escarpa Pinot recently and it was great, but could go farther and improve. Their less expensive pinots and Chardonnay’s need less time. Their 2013 Heintz Chardonnay is my favorite of all time (been buying since the 2009 vintage). Their 2011 Peter Martin Ray Chardonnay is at its peak.

Love their wine!

That’s interesting. Most seem to be over the moon with those, but I do know super-extraction tends to get rewarded by critics.

I found my sampler Ceritas to be very restrained. I really liked them, but they’re not flashy. And because of the pricing and how hard it is to get, I think I will only occasionally pursue it.

Looks like Ceritas trademarked the name “Rivina” as well as “Carex” (Fall Chard release) and “Senna” (Fall Pinot release) - maybe three new blends? Interesting to see they also have a Chard coming from Zephyr Vineyard (on Jonive Road near Bohemian Hwy). Red Car has been sourcing Chard and Pinot from Zephyr for a half-dozen years, IIRC it’s recently been replanted/grafted to all Chard.

Try with age.

Thank you for the information. Especially excited for their new Chardonnay. The next release starts Monday (27th), we’ll find out about Rivina and maybe the other new ones.

Interesting - it sounds like the Carex, Senna and Rivina are single vineyard rather than blends.

NEWS \ 2018 VINTAGE

In 2018, Ceritas signed long term leases on four new parcels all found inside the West Sonoma Coast – Carex (Chardonnay), Zephyr (Chardonnay), Senna (Pinot Noir) and finally Rivina Pinot Noir - more details below. Our holdings at Ceritas continue to evolve as we search out the best possible pieces from which to make wine. We are truly honored to be working with these sites and ecstatic about the wines that have resulted.

RIVINA \ WEST SONOMA COAST
Monopole

Our first release of Rivina Pinot Noir is exciting and not to be missed. Nearly 18 years ago, a vineyard was planted by industry friends in the northernmost reaches of the Fort-Ross Seaview sub-appellation of the West Sonoma Coast. When planted, the vine density (2400 vines/acre) was almost unheard of. The tight spacing resulted in small vines growing intense fruit all the while driving the roots deep into the hard sandstone soils with high concentrations of quartz.

We source a small section of this vineyard which is planted using the revered Calera selection massale bud wood from the Ceritas Occidental Vineyard. Small, tight clusters with small berries results in a wine of great depth and concentration while retaining an amazing amount of natural acidity. This wine is a great parallel to the Occidental Pinot Noir as you get to see the differences between the two sites using the same clonal source.<

Get the Peter Martin Ray Chard. Tasting notes liken this to the 2011, which was outstanding. Ceritas is the only Chardonnay I purchase every year.

For me their Chardonnay is really good with 7+ years of age. They do make a younger vine Chardonnay that is made to drink earlier. I think the Pinot Noir can be opened early but also have a closed period, I’m still figuring this out.

I usually purchase in 6’s - not everyone but PMR & PB are annual. I love to crack one early and follow over a few days. I hit one 3-4 years after vintage and then have some with age. Over the holidays we did a king crab dinner and enjoyed the 09 PB and 11 PMR. A favorite - no - just like the kids are different but love them the same. The awesome thing is the PB tasted like PD and the PMR tasted like PMR. love these wines - do not serve cold and give then plenty of air. I think decanting whites of this quality is more important than decanting most reds.

Got a little more info on two of the new wines from the folks at Ceritas. The grapes for the Rivina Pinot come from one of the two best blocks of the Red Car Estate vineyard, which as noted above was planted with Calera selection massale bud wood from the Ceritas Occidental Vineyard. Grapes for the new Carex Chardonnay come from the DuMOL estate, and the wine was described to me as very racy and the “Trout Gulch of the north.”

Nice to see you back here, Steve!

Thanks for the information. Trout Gulch is my new favorite. And, loved the Dumol’s I’ve had, though those were a while back. Very excited!

picked up a couple of each chard and Revina pinot.

Going to pass on this offering. Not enough space, patience, or money to sit on these chards.

3 of each Chard