Champagne goes with everything...but what is its IDEAL food pairing?

+1

A little late to this party but I hosted a champagne tasting where I work & made sure to have two large bags of Lays chips on hand. They disappeared quite quickly. IMO as close to an ideal pairing as it gets champagne.gif

Smoked trout is pretty awesome as well

maybe I’m beating a dead fish here but I’ve always felt smoke taints a wine, not improves it.

Popcorn, popped in bacon fat then showered with cracked black pepper and grated Parmesan. Some would add salt, but the bacon fat and Parmesan are salty enough for me.

Credit goes to Remi Krug for idea of pepper and Parmesan; bacon fat is my addition.

Great ideas - thank you all. I didn’t end up opening it this weekend, but I’m pretty sure that, when I do, it’ll be caviar and potato chips. Brilliant! I might have to try fried oysters as well.

fried food esp. oysters or chicken for me.

More Champagne

For me, It’s a flavor like anything else. It doesn’t taint wine any more than garlic or soy or truffles or any number of strong flavors. But then I like smoked foods so maybe it’s personal?

I absolutely love really good grilled cheese sandwiches with champagne. Parisian ham, gruyere, and caramelized onions is tough to beat. English cheddar and quick pickle fresno chiles is damn good too. I’ve always wanted to open a bar/restaurant that only serves sparkling wine/champagne and grilled cheese. Can’t come up with a decent name, though.

Possibly the best wine/food pairing I’ve ever had was NV Krug paired with raw salmon on toast with caviar.

recipe: Salmon with Red-Wine Sauce Recipe - Quick From Scratch Fish & Shellfish

That’s quite the suggestive picture lol [snort.gif] [wow.gif]

In the Rheingau, smoked trout and local Riesling is a thing. One of my favorite travel memories is sitting in the courtyard of Breuer’s Rudesheimer Schloss with my wife on a fall Sunday with blankets on our laps, listening to an oompah band, and eating whole local smoked trout (speciality of the house) and drinking '76 Breuer Ruedesheimer Riesling Auslese. I can taste it in my memory as I type this.

Oh my. I see what you mean.

I like that idea! How about, “Champers?”

Toast

Pain Grille

Grilled Champers

is what came to my mind first.

So many good suggestions here - I want to try a grilled cheese after reading Jared’s suggestions, but my immediate thought was truffle popcorn (like Ray mentioned) or potato chips (like Betty suggested)

So with all of the great suggestions, there is no single ideal pairing. Though, there seem to be many great options. And opinions.

JD