Checkerboard Cabs- I Tasted Them (and, wow)

I probably would have purchased if it was under $100 but that was wishful thinking

Good to know. No need to open the envelope.

Looks like they are going the route of the Ovid pricing model. I bet the second wine is $95 just like Ovid too. They don’t ship to AZ, which is odd, and takes me out as a buyer (not that I was with a forced 3 pack at $175 per, but I would have considered the seconds if the price was right).

I was pretty sure that this was going to be cost prohibitive for me. It was. But, just out of curiosity, I wanted to see how much shipping would be:

Subtotal: $525.00
Shipping: $71.26
Sales Tax: $32.81
Total: $629.07

In essence it comes out to $210 per bottle. No thanks. I agree with Jim Van Pelt. For that, price I can get a case of ACV from winelibrary.

Was this only a post card or did you get an e-mail as well? I did not recieve an e-mail and I moved so my card is lost in USPS limbo if I am still on the list. I doubt I can afford it though, so it is just as well. I am sure it is great wine though.

Loren… I JUST received the email. Maybe it goes in waves, whos knows?

I priced mine out as well using the “Green Option” for shipping to VA… $599.70. I don’t think I’ll be doing that. I think the only one I’ll be buying in that range is Seven Stones.

Just received my email offer today. Easy pass at that price.

Ditto. I only signed up about 3-4 months ago, so I’m assuming a lot of people have been passing on their allocations.

At $175/per with no track record, a complete no brainer to pass.

Soooo, is it just me, or is there absolutely nothing of substance on their website to give you any insight into the wine itself? Harvest Notes, yes. But those just say how wonderful '07 was and blah blah blah. Being a first release, you’d think there might be a little more insight into, well, everything!

But the label and packaging are so cool… Doesn’t that add at least $100? [wow.gif]

Did ANYBODY buy?

Hey all you guys on the first tier didn’t order!
I received the offer today (leftovers I guess).

Cheers
Rip

On a side note and not judging at all – why was checkerboard seemingly given the heave ho by the board yet seven stones was not and I feel like they are both in the same boat in terms of price and all that? (Full disclosure I am on both lists and have bought neither as of yet for reasons I won’t get into here)

My personal experience is that Seven Stones came out 3 years ago (or so) and I didn’t feel beaten up by news on the economy. After having been through years of hearing nothing but how bad things are, regardless if I’m actually affected or not, it feels like a huge financial drain at this point to spend that amount on an unknown entity. It’s completely irrational, but that’s how I feel. Had Seven Stones debuted right now, I woudn’t be buying either.

I’d also add that Seven Stones has absorbed shipping costs for all three vintages so far. At $70, that’s a huge plus for us on the east coast. [cheers.gif]

I am sure they are fine wines but for the price i can buy a known entity for a fraction of the price. Not willing to gamble that much money without tasting them first: PASS

I received the letter and email offer today. I wrote them an email asking them to remove me from the mailing list as I will not support wineries with no track record and such aggressive pricing plans. Those days are long past. I did wish them luck though, I think they may need it.

I was not going to buy…but a friend went to Napa last week tasted and said I should buy it, knowing what I like. So I bought a three pack. We shall see. Loren, whenever you want to have an overpriced offline, let me know :wink:

To tell you the truth, Seven Stones is probably in the most likely place for a wine list to be dropped. I like the wines, but the economy was better when I first bought and moreso, their pricing was more in line. There are so many wines being discounted, that I don’t think I will be staying on many of the top tier lists. That and I find a lack of time/places to open a bottle such as these. Still on the fence for Checkerboard. I got the e-mail today.

+1 – Pass

The poor (for the price) RP barrel scores for 2008 and 2009 have put me off ordering this…