Chili Crisp - Different Brands & Uses

I’m a wuss and Momofuku’s is way too spicy for me. I did love the savory salt though.

Here’s a new one for me. There were three peppers jalapeño and ?. I got the Habanero cause I like it hot, but yes it’s hot! I can’t believe how light and crunchy these things are though, really great stuff and I’m going back to buy the other to try.
76F286E1-6966-492D-B79A-CDDDFF3E12DA.jpeg

I like the Momofuku and enjoy the heat and funk of it. The jar that I am working on would be no more than spice level 2 out of 5, IMO.

This is my favorite brand at the moment – the jalapeno is my favorite, as I dont like it quite that hot! The other one is Serrano – also pretty hot!

Where has this been all my life?

Based on this thread I ordered the Momofuku version and love it.

Heads up, the Mei Lin XO sauce got restocked here: https://nowservingla.com/collections/pantry/products/umamei-xo-sauce

Excited to try it!

I had never heard of it before this thread and we shop and eat at a LOT of Asian places. This thread motivated us, so we ordered 9 bottles to try out. So far, we love it!

9 bottles of Momofuku? Or 9 bottles of different brands?

Momofuku only.

Longer story how we ended up with 9. Supposed to be 4. We’re going through it about 1 bottle every 3 weeks.

It’s a good thing you love it!

Same here for both me and Arnold. I tried it out first as a condiment for some steak but by the end of the dinner he was eating it with a spoon.

I used the Umamei XO sauce for the first time today to make charred broccolini XO fried rice. The seafood flavors are muted compared to my mom’s homemade version and to what I’ve had in Chinese restaurants. I think it’d be suited for palates that aren’t used to in-your-face dried seafood flavor. It’s about as spicy as Momofuku’s chili crisp.

I would probably not get it again. I’ll either convince my mom to make more, or get ahold of Din Tai Fung’s version from Taipei.

I went back and bought the other 2 varieties, freaking awesome too. I looked at the calories and apparently these are not “healthy” at 1000kcal Per jar. Not sure I could do a whole jar but I’ve done 1/4.

Oh man. I so wish you had not told me about the calories. Sigh. :slight_smile:

I just ordered a jar of the Momofuku. Interested to try.

Just ordered the Fly by Jing and momofuku (and all their salts) to try. I have been using the LGM for awhile. I need to quit reading these threads… too much money!

Chili crisp? I need to get out more.

:Heads to Asian Market:

I have been really lazy recently about making a stop at the Asian market. Just a heads up for anyone unfamiliar, the cheapest price on Amazon for LGM is $10 for a 2-pack. I just paid $2.49 at the supermarket.

How’s the Momofuku? I just saw it today and was considering a supply for the chef kids in the family.

I think it’d make a fantastic stocking stuffer. I’d throw in the Lao Gan Ma so they can do a comparison.