Chili Crisp - Different Brands & Uses

My grandma made borscht not chili crisp so I’m far from an expert, but I got both LGM and Momofuku and don’t see much similarity at all in the flavor profiles.

The LGM has these big fermented soy and szechuan chili components that make it unique and addictive. Amazing match to Asian cuisines.

The Momofuku tastes to me like red pepper flakes and Aleppo peppers. I’m putting this on my Mexican food.

Not technically chili crisp but close and very good!

https://themalamarket.com/collections/regional-chinese-sauces-pickles/products/zindrew-garlic-chili-oil

Fly by Jing is running a Black Friday promo for 20% off. Discount applied at checkout.

interesting spin on the Bo Ssam with chili crisp
https://peachykeen.momofuku.com/recipe/savory-seasoned-salt-bo-ssam-with-chili-crunch-honey-glaze/

Has anyone tried the Trader Joe’s version? Great flavor, but not super spicy. I like mixing it with Labneh and using it as a dip.
tj chili crunch.jpg

We have used it. It is quite good (the Trader Jose’s version. I should say that I am not a big TJ fan, but this is a good product. As you note, it is not that spicy though. Which for some (like my partner) is a good thing; for others that would be a drawback. I like a bit more spice, but the TJ one has a nice crunchy texture – in fact one of the best in terms of texture of the ones we have tried.

Anyone tried Mr Bings Chili Crisp? Made in NYC. It doesn’t smell very hot but it does smell delicious! Loads of roasted garlic aromas.

PSA - Momofuku Chili Crisp is back in stock. Their Tamari is not … sigh.

For fancy gifting tamari, I would recommend this:

That company sells some great soy sauces from small producers using traditional methods in Japan. I find the taste to be superior to the cheap stuff I grew up with from the Chinese grocery store. There are artisanal Chinese producers too, but typically they’re hard to find in the US.

Thanks Betty! I will add some to my little Chang fans package for the chef kids …

1 Like

Made a large batch pretty close to the Serious Eats version today. I’ve toyed around with it but my only real change this time was using all Tien Tsen peppers because it’s what I had on hand. It’s a laborious recipe that takes a few hours, but I made about 50oz and it’s far, far better than any of the versions I’ve bought.

1 Like

I was at Kroger today and happened to see LGM in the Asian aisle. Pleasant surprise.

The Mission Chinese Food Cookbook has a great recipe for this, super easy to make. I prefer it to the Momofuku chili crisp plus the chili oil you get as a by product is worth it’s weight in gold.

Back in stock, for now.

Padma’s Chili Crisp-

Looks easier and less time consuming than many of the other recipes out there.

Mix with soy sauce, sesame oil, molasses, and fish sauce. Great for dipping anything.

The LA Times weighs in: L.A. is in the middle of a chile sauce craze. 16 to try now

1 Like