Clos de Vougeot -- Who Makes the Best?

I haven’t walked the vineyard, but supposedly the effects as you go downslope aren’t just about exposition; the soil character changes, with deeper soil, and less limestone and more clay, and the drainage isn’t as good at the bottom. Not that you can’t make great wine from there – there are excellent lower-slope village and 1er cru wines in other villages (and even grand crus in Gevrey) – but it would suggest that there’s perhaps less potential for greatness.

That said, I’d rather have a downslope wine made by a great farmer/winemaker than an upslope wine made by a poor one. A tasting in the cellar of a good producer who has plots in various sectors (Meo or Leroy for example), if they fermented and elevaged them separately, would be veeeerry interesting.

I too have had good experiences with Chateau de la Tour. I don’t mind mentioning it because it’s already too expensive here anyways. The VV just came out for $350 in Ontario.

Not as many data points but I think Faiveley’s is nice, but another one that is bigger $$$.

I was under the impression that Jacques Prieur’s CdV was from interior terroir and didn’t hit the heights of others but seeing is here has me wondering. Anyone had good experiences? If so which vintages? Keeping in mind it is now about $200 how does it compare to others?

I very much liked the '91 and '93 MM CV (only vintages I’ve had).

Anyone had a recent Anne Gros? Her bit is in prime real estate.

Just to give a visual. This is very detailed, but a bit out of date:

[resizeableimage=700,600]http://thevinofiles.typepad.com/the_vino_files/files/clos_de_vougeot.jpg[/resizeableimage]

The Vino Files: Vougeot AOC

When we did our blind 2000 CV horizontal many years ago the Anne Gros was one of the least favorites due to all the oak. Unfortunately the notes are lost on the Parker board. If you have access you can find them there.

Jay, the Anne Gros = Over-oaked reputation is a bit unfortunate (and not without evidence). I was surprised by a bottle of her 2003 CV Maupertui a few years ago. The oak was not overbearing and the ripeness was evident but not over the top. I won’t argue that if her style aligned closer to that of the mesdames Mugneret, the wines would knock your socks off.

RT

Yes. I was enjoying the focus on Engel, Meo & Leroy (not so much the Mugneret-Gibourg focus). Perhaps we can redirect the discussion away from Ch. de la Tour? [cheers.gif]

Without reading further, +1 unless there are other +s, then I`m + whatever.

I don’t think I’ve had anything more recent than 99 yet, but I very much like her CV - hers and Hudelot-Noellat are the two I keep an eye out for.

I’ve only had a few Leroy.
I’m a fan of Grivot. Also, Lamarche was really good a few years ago.

edit–An older Mongeard-Mugneret was the wine that had us smitten all those years ago.

Last year a 1969 Gros frere was absolutely drop dead gorgeous

Meo makes a killer CV. So does Grivot.

:slight_smile:

I very much enjoy

Chateau de la tour esp the vv
M-g, but at US pricing, m-g is getting pretty tough.

Grivot’s is great - and from the bottom of the slope.

Roumier, Mugneret-Gibourg, and Engels. These days, all are priced out of my range (or gone).

01 Leroy is probably the best I have. The Gros Freres Musigni has the best terroir and shows Musigny silkiness, only wish it was under different hands - it could be a lot better than it is…

Based off of some old bottles (e.g., 1995). Millot. Fabutastic.

John Gilman wrote a fantastic article about Clos Vougeot, covering all the major topics/complaints people have about CV…disputing most/many of them. Well worth a read, esp if you’re interested in CV. Need to be a subscriber to get access to it. The article is posted on cellar tracker (behind a subscriber wall), tho I don’t recall exactly where. Perhaps someone else (John maybe, if he’s reading this) knows and can post a link.

The only vintage I’ve had is a 1996 (which I recently purchased for $100), and it was excellent. Here’s my note:

1996 Jacques Prieur Clos de Vougeot
Bottle stood upright for 10 days. Gently decanted for sediment and poured back into its cleaned bottle, where it stood opened for 90 minutes; then re-corked and brought to dinner. Nose of barnyard funk and chocolate-covered cherries. Palate of decaying earth, game, and bright cherries; tannins are completely resolved, and the acid is well-balanced. This wine was outstanding and a true pleasure to drink. For me, it’s probably at the beginning of its peak period.