Clos de Vougeot -- Who Makes the Best?

I can’t afford the best – like Leroy and Mugneret-Gibourg – but I’ve had excellent bottles from Grivot and Hudelot-Noellat. I’ve also had very good (and fairly priced!) bottles from Jadot, Faiveley, and recent vintages of Drouhin-Laroze.

Hudelot-Noellat and Mugneret-Gibourg are my favorites, and these are from well placed upper slope parcels which, I believe, raises their potential in terms of refinement and harmony and perhaps also complexity. And for QPR, I have enjoyed Louis Jadot, from a lower parcel.

Clos de Vougeot is a fascinating cru and an under-rated one, a fertile ground for the adventurous value hunter who is not so risk-averse or concerned with the less glamorous appellation. Austere and structured in youth and wanting significant bottle age to lift the veil.

Jacques Prieur has a cult following in Puerto Rico for some reason so we’ve been lucky to sample quite a bit of it. I’ve tasted most of the CDV vintages from Prieur from the 1980’s, 1990’s, and early 2000’s and can recommend 1985, 1990, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2000-2005.

Drouhin-Laroze showed very well in the 2007 horizontal I mentioned anove.

Heard that the Chateau de la Tour takes longer to come around than some of the others. Are folks talking about older vintages?k

Barry,
The newer vintages are made in a much different style. The wines are really nice.

A week ago I attended a comprehensive Clos de Vougeot - tasting with 21 wines.

The best IMHO were (in no particular order):

Clos Frantin 1971
Charles Vienot 1959
Gros Frere & Soeur (Musigni) 1985
Jean Raphet 1972

Anne Gros (Grand Mauperui) 1999
JJ Confuron 2002
Robert Arnoux 2002
Thibault Liger-Belair 2005
Jean Tardy 2003

also excellent
Jean (=Michel) Gros 1994 (but a weak vintage)
Tortochot 1964
Hudelot-Noellat 2006

Gerard Raphet 2002 would have been fine, but was slightly corked,
Daniel Rion also corked, but not impressive initially.
Meo-Camuzet 1997 and Denis Mortet 2002 heavily corked.

Ok, but not special:
Confuron-Cotetidot 2005
Grivot 2001
L.Latour 1972
Haegelen-Jayer 1995

Mugneret-Gibourg 1998 disapointing (as many wines of this producer)

Earlier tasted - and very fine:
Leymarie 1964 (+++)
Jean Gros 1990/93/95
Engel 1991
Chateau de la Tour 2002

All in all most of the Clos Vougeots were on a very high and satisfying level, nothing to complain, and most not extremely pricy either.
No Leroy tasted this or last year, but sure it´s fine.

Usually all 3 Gros, Arnoux, JJ Confuron, Raphet, Hudelot-N … are always successful and top-producers.
I´m no Grivot-fan.
Meo was unfortunately corked - usually fine.

See my report above - Gros Frere & S 1985 was a relevation … (tasted blind, great surprise)

Eugenie…

Paul,
Eugenie? This looks like infanticide as they have only be producing for a few years following Engel passing.

Puzzled by Gerhard about Mugneret Gibourg as I have never had it but everybody tells me they are wonderful (I have 3 bottles in cellar but too young (2006, 2011 and 2012).

I love Grivot Cols Vougeot 2002.

This, and there is no second choice. Clos de Vougeot is a premier cru with an interesting history masquerading as a grand cru. Ditto Echezeaux. If you are going to pay the grand cru freight, you need to get grand cru Burgundy. I would (and do) pass on Clos de Vougeot entirely, the quality of Leroy notwithstanding…

How many producers have holdings in CV?

Over 80

Wow. Thanks.

Gary,

Check out the map back at post #25.

Georges Mugneret-G. : I´ve had a fair share of wines from 1988 to 2000 … from NSG to CV to E to Ruchottes an Feusselottes, and very rarely if ever do they excite me … some have been good, some ok, quite a few disapointing, with (too) elevated acidity and lacking sweetness and finesse (always a bit clumsy …)
Also tasted a lot after 2000, also 2010 and 11 … yes, promising but not really complex … not really singing. I´ll see how younger vintages develope …

This is a very shortsighted (somewhat snobistic) point.
There are wonderful Clos Vougeots that deliever everything one can long for in a GC Burgundy, especially with the apropriate age on it.
Nothing against Leroy, sure a top-producer, but to say that everything else is “crap” or not worth of GC status is ridiculous.
Yes, there are disapointing CVs not worth the money, but the same can be said about many other Crus … including Chambertin, Clos de la Roche, Bonnes-Mares et al… even Musigny and R.St.Vivant.

A fine CV often can be found easier and cheaper than some expensive famous 1er Crus - and can also be the better wine … still a Richebourg or Romanee-St.Vivant, a Musigny, a Clos de Beze might be superior … but for 3, 4, 5+ times the price …

+++ 100%.

But too pricey for me personally. [cheers.gif]

I’m not sure if “snobistic” is an actual word, but if it isn’t, it should be, and perfectly used by Gerhard to describe Klapp’s post above. IMO of course.

Sorry, I apology … the word “snobistic” really seems to be non-existant … I should have written “snotty” …
or does “snobbish” exist? I any case one knows what I meant.

(still problems with foreign language … pardon)

Yes, I think your meaning came across.

Henry - thanks but I can’t seem to make out the fine detail on the map. Maybe I need a magnifying glass. And the link doesn’t open for me. I will try again later.