Cork collection

Here are a couple of (poor) photos of my “corkupine” light fixture that I made for our remodel last year. The lamps are “flicker flame” LEDs, giving quite an interesting effect. The corks are curated- no duplicates. How many, do you think? (Ryan, you cannot play!)

Happy New Year, all!
IMG_2238.jpeg
IMG_2237.jpeg

3 Likes

Very cool! How long did it take you to make it? Are they glued on?
Umm how about ~377? [scratch.gif]

Happy new year to you as well!

A guy up the road from me did the sane thing. Mulched around their yard with corks. Noticed it when we were taking our grand-kids trick-or-treating. Thought it was a brilliant idea.

It took me a few days (well, evenings, actually, with vinous and background musical accompaniment) to construct once I had the metal substructure. After selecting the corks that I wanted to use, I drilled out the centers of the chosen corks and skewered them onto the metal spikes of the fixture- sort of campfire marshmallow style. Guesses so far are low, by the way.

1 Like

929?

Had 1000’s at one point & figured I had enough other things I was collecting, so we recycled with the municipality cork program and kept less than 100 which had some memories attached. Wife had a few of these shadowbox style frames which are now in my office and cellar.

cork.jpg

2 Likes

I made tables out of wine barrels, put glass over the top.

C451C45E-6791-46BA-8823-39D51CFF479D.jpeg
8EF5953A-8D5A-4119-86CE-B576D69B2E0C.jpeg

Your guess is high, Tom- the others low.

Without chalkboard

750ish

I ditched the cork collection in favor of champagne caps. They’re prettier and take up a lot less space. However, I’m still faced with the “WTF am I supposed to do with these” dilemma, but at least they’re not taking up a lot of room while I decide (if I ever do).

Cheers,
Warren

We have a bunch on display in an old copper tub, along with several grocery bags full stashed away. My wife insisted on saving the latter for ‘projects’, although it has been going on several years now. We have talked about a table top under glass, similar to what Brian T has done, so that is the most likely option.

Will be fun to do an archeological dig to the bottom of the tub someday, to see how many Turning Leaf and BV Coastal corks are lurking on the bottom from the old days…
Wine Corks3.jpg
Wine Corks1.jpg
Cheers! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Yeah, same. I think so many are interesting and “pretty” that we keep some as well. Here’s a bowl on a coffee table in the house. Ends up being something arty that guests (back when we had them) pick up and enjoy. More interesting than a book on a table.

bubbles.jpg

Donated to a local kids program where they use them for crafts.

Didn’t realize how accessible cork recycling has become, definitely going to start dropping off the bags and bags of corks I have. For champagne caps, I found some holders online so have them in a binder, no idea what I’ll do from there:

Edit: if anyone is interested, I got them here: ENCAP Clear Pages for Champagne Caps and Bottle Caps at lighthouse.us

2 Likes

For some reason, my mother likes to buy us wine related tchotchkes that all eventually find their way to the attic. However, the one thing she got us that we actually found useful was a trivet made from wine corks. Maybe you can start making cork trivets and sell them on Etsy?

I am thinking about making and accent wall with corks and capsules in the room outside my cellar. Just not motivated enough at the moment to start it.

Exactly 750, Chris- you win! PM me your address and I will send you a prize!

Wow, lucky guess! I guess I should explain my methodology:

I counted the number of corks in each vertical slice (about 17), then counted the number of vertical slices from the center to the edge (12), then since this covers a quarter of the hemisphere’s surface I multiplied by 4 to get a total = 816. However, since this method would likely overcount for a hemisphere I rounded it down a bit to 750.

I hope it’s 750 corks. [cheers.gif]

1 Like