Cork collection

Same here, just the interesting ones or those that are associated with a special occasion. Once in a while I will rummage through them to recall the setting and with whom we shared a bottle. During these times of greater isolation, we have done so more recently.

Our local wine and liquor store accepts corks in any quantity that we’ve been able to come up with so far, rumor is they go to a facility in Portland where they are upcycled into cork flooring.

Trying to sell some of mine on Facebook Market Place. I sell a ton of used golf balls but corks are harder to sell.

I make hot plates out of them for quick Christmas presents. Cut them in half, lengthwise on the bandsaw, then glue them to a piece of framed 1/4" ply. I’ll use cherry, walnut, maple, etc…for the frame material. They work surprisingly well in this application. Cork is a good insulator. Can’t seem to find any pictures at the moment though…

1 Like

A nice retiree project if you have a bucket load of corks … A Huntingdon Valley retiree used 7,300 corks to recreate Disney’s Cinderella Castle

1 Like

Saving mine to build a raft so I can escape the global warming, or next Tsunami. Also helps with justification for opening another bottle. It’s for my future safety…

I measure them by the pound. When I look at the prices on eBay it seems silly to just recycle them.

We have ours in multiple containers as well. I plan on doing a wall hanging like this at some point -
cork tree.jpeg

I like this wreath also, but have not made one yet
Cork-Wreath-Ideas.jpg

I was gifted one of these once by Jerry Hey: https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwji0Zi1zb_1AhUDPq0GHfpcD44YABALGgJwdg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD25jmgi9Y7o0dTi8gz2JGB1dr-nHq6KPn5s49kO9uIEZWHZYlYhTfER3B7abR3vy0588IIgi3shVziDS3VhAqo&sig=AOD64_0uR_nq1PLdBjVpGUG-9_Jn8feM9Q&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiGtIe1zb_1AhWNKEQIHe2BBzQQwg96BAgBEA4&adurl=

I thought you had posted something like this once Alan! When I came across it it was the inspiration for me to start saving my Champagne tops.

A738292A-05E1-4A9C-882B-40156C4B2BCA.jpeg
I love the playfulness of this “wall of corks” idea! A hollow, 2-3 inch thick glass wall with a hole at the top to drop the corks in. I wanted use this for the back end of our wine cellar, but my wife vigorously vetoed. Probably for the best but I still like the idea.

1 Like