Costco $550 Belota Iberico

It is a delicious Jamon. Has a mild sweetish nutty flavor throughout. The flesh is a deep crimson red. Even the fat is delicious. It is not a huge Jamon, the breed (Iberian hog) is bred for it’s flavor and higher fat content not the bulky weight.

Picked one up today. Now I’m ready for the holidays! champagne.gif

Been watching some videos on slicing these things- Found this one (while heavily branded by one company) to be fairly informative. If anyone has better (or preferred) resources, I am all ears… HOW TO CARVE A SPANISH JAMON Cutting Iberian ham. How to slice jamon - YouTube

Joselito is by far the best branded Iberico ham in Spain.
Cutting takes a very sharp thin knife and skill

While joselito is good - I think that Cinco Jotas is better…

I respectfully disagree.

There are different grades and each Jamon is an individual thing. I have had more Cinco Jotas in Spain, but they are both superb producers of Bellotas.

Joselito & 5J are both very good. I’d add the jamónes of Arturo Sánchez though.

I think my rankings, from best to worst, would be Eiriz, Montaraz, Joselito, Cinco Jotas, Arturo Sanchez, and Fermin. Haven’t tried Covap yet.

Idk, this one from Huelva sounds pretty interesting anyone want to go in together and get one?? 4100€ (in 2016)!!

I bit…delivered today and set it up on the kitchen counter. Can’t wait to see my wife’s face tomorrow when she returns from her business trip…think she’s going to love it…hopefully will get get my share.

if she doesn’t beat you over the head with it. My wife would.

Iberico Club’s jamons are covap as well

Did grab one of the last three from my local costco. Enjoyed the bemused looks. “$550, eh. That must be a helluva ham.”
Will hold off unveiling till Thanksgiving I think. Excited. Grabbed the $99 version too so I can practice on it before hacking up the good one.

Did not see any left online and I doubt my local stores will have anything.

Barcelona is a wonderful place. Today we tried the Joselito and the 5J. Both were delicious :yum:.

Technical question: Do you use a heavier knife to trim the outer skin or the flexible jamon one?

Heavier. If you watch the verious carving videos, most use 3 knives. A heavier, often serrated, knife to cut the skin off, a boning knife to cut the meat from the bone, and then the ham knife to cut slices.

Normally heavy & serrated for the outer skin, yes. But, my Jamon is very moist and I have managed with just the Jamon Knife.

There was a big stack of the $100 ham at my local Costco in Wheaton, MD. Can anyone comment on the quality of that jamon?