Costco $550 Belota Iberico

Wegmans has Fermin in the case at $99 a pound, which doesn’t seem too bad for tasting quantities with no bone and the fat removed. Even though dead last, it was a very tasty first experience with this stuff. Wish I could try more.

Is it the Serrano? A buddy of mine got that and brought some to a party. It was quite tasty and I don’t think you could go wrong at that price. The knife rusted right away though.

Have you tried any bone-in jamon previously or since?

Saw that too, it was Serrano.

Costco in Davie,Fl. had a few $550 Belota’s.

Had the CostCo Jamon Belota Iberico over Thanksgiving and the weekend. I though it was quite good and a hell of a value.

Has anyone done business with https://hamlovers.com? Several things there are in the same price range and less, and since I generally avoid nitrate/nitrite cured meats I’m intrigued by the Montaraz there which is just pig and sea salt (and for which Betty gives an apparent thumbs-up :slight_smile:).

I have not had the jamon from Montaraz, but I did import a few nitrate/nitrite free Jamones from Seron. The flesh is a bit paler but the flavor is not any different. They are prone to get a little mold a bit faster than the ones cured with nitrates/nitrites. That does not mean the jamon is bad, just wipe it off or you can rinse it off and dry with paper towels. Then once dry add a fresh layer of lard.

Nola, do you cover your jamon while it’s out in room temp? Currently I have mine gently wrapped in clear wrap sitting on the counter. Thanks.

I do, I use the fat from the top to cover the meat, and then I put some plastic wrap over that (but that will cause it to mold). then I have the black cloth bag laid over that. Mold is a Jamon’s friend. While they age they get a nice thick layer, and then they are rinsed coated with lard and packaged. Occasionally, I have found a jamon I am ready to ship that is covered with mold. I generally hold it back and save it for myself. I am making a big deal out of the mold because it is what helps the jamon to age. I just don’t want anyone to think there is a problem with it.

I’ve ordered from them before and had a good experience. I end up ordering from Tienda.com more because they have coupons often.

My costco belota had some mold, i just wiped it off. I tell you I feel like a hack cutting this thing tho. No offense jay

You mean like cutting it in chunks? [smileyvault-ban.gif] [swearing.gif] Nooooo!!! Lol!!! I mean it is your food and you can do with it what you want. Mine is super easy to slice thin so… flirtysmile

No. Not chunks but uneven slices etc. my jamon technique needs work.

Cut it how you can, then enjoy with a crunchy baguette drizzled with high quality EVOO and the jamon on top and a nice glass of Tempranillo!!!

Not sure the difference from the one above but saw this. We got one last year and it was wonderful. My brother thought it was better than Edwards Ham.
8DF5B5B3-6286-4398-A861-59051B56D3B9.jpeg

Those in the photo here are Serrano produced by Noel, a massive jamon factory with several locations around Spain, the one that makes these jamons, produces 22,000 hams/week. 1.2 million hams in stock. (from their website) www.noel.es

The bellotas in the OP are the black footed iberian hog, fed acorns (bellota) for the last couple months. The jamones have a very delicate and distinct flavor and the flesh is a deeper red color. If you enjoyed it last year grab another, especially now before they double in price.

Hey Nola. If I buy another from CostCo today and store it in the box, wrapped, in my wine cellar, will it still be good to go next November? I really like it for the Holiday season here…

I would have zero hesitation with that.

Thanks. I’m gonna do that!

I ordered another for next year, delivered today. Will sit in the wine cellar for 11 months! $550 delivered, so hard to pass up!