Costco $550 Belota Iberico

The Costco in Redmond, WA is selling the Covap Bellota Iberico for $350 thru 12/31. Not sure about other locations.

[winner.gif]

A friend brought round some Costco Iberico. Very little ribbon fat, decent if chewy, good flavor. Lack of fat the real problem; half the flavor and much of the texture is lost.

Damn! I was just up there a couple days ago. Stopped by the Tukwila Costco to gas up the rental and do a quick run thru the alcohol section. My Alaska Airlines flight ended up being delayed for 3.5 hours
 [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif]

Costco has them again on the website.
Now $529.99

I’m not scared of a little mold! Does anyone have a good recommendation for one of the iberic’s available on Amazon?

I saw one on the shelf at Costco for $549.99 a couple days ago.

I’m a big fan, I assume these weigh in at ??? 15 pounds with bone?

Pork is Precious!

Dan Kravitz

this? https://www.costco.com/d’artagnan-spanish-mangalica-dry-cured-ham-9.25-lbs
product.100512604.html

No. Jamon Iberico is what’s being referenced here. Although I did a Mangalica pork lunch a number of months ago, and it was definitely worthy of the hype.

Gotta love this review:

“Putting it on the meat slicer and shaving was a great way to eat it. Each person in my home thought it tasted like rotten meat. I wasn’t pleased with it. So now I have a $400 chunk of meat we won’t eat sitting in my fridge. Not happy. Doesn’t taste like ham, or prosciutto, just foul meat.”

newhere

Reviewer rated it 2 stars. How bad does it have to be to be 1 star???

1 star review: “It broke my meat slicer.”

I got more of Carrasco IbĂ©ricos’ hand-sliced jamĂłn IbĂ©rico. I have a new house jamĂłn. Luscious stuff.
91489A76-340B-4E3C-873C-A4F5BE63C464.jpeg

Hey Nola, have you heard about this?

“Fury in Spain at US plans to produce ‘Iberian’ ham in Texas and Georgia”

It’s not at the same level as Bellota, by any means, but I enjoyed the hell out of an aged Benton’s ham (additional six months in my garage) over the last two months.

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but someone brought one of these two Falltacular this year and I thought it was really delicious. I would buy one myself, but we do not entertain during the plague, and it would probably go to waste.

Have been enjoying Montaraz Único jamĂłn IbĂ©rico de bellota gran reserva at home lately for pica-pica time. Fattier than my previous house jamĂłn de bellota (Carrasco Guijuelo - both are 100% IbĂ©rico); but, somehow, not ponderous on the palate. Sold in Metro Manila (by Terry’s Selection) at the equivalent of around $151/pound.
070FB28C-552F-41E8-9B9A-DF7C963A19CC.jpeg

I put a couple in my wine cellar. Been pulling them out and using during the Covid. They last so long, zero worries. I’ve gone through 2 of them since early March. Delicious.

Hey Craig, no I hadn’t heard about it. I have sort of a conflicted opinion on the article. The Bellota Jamones are spectacular. The one I bought a Costco is still on my counter top and we slice a bit from it every few days. I have one of the Jamon Serranos I imported along side the Bellota. It’s Gazpacho time so

If the US farms could raise them under the same conditions as in Spain, then I think we could have Jamon here of a similar taste. The acorns are the key though. I have front yard full of acorns, but have no interest in raising Iberian Hogs (LOL). Will they follow the same standard as the Criadores de JamĂłn de Extremadura and other certified areas in Spain that have very strict standards they follow? My guess is probably not and as the article stated feeding the hogs Pecans or Peanuts is not the same and will not yield the same quality of Jamon. To label it as such would be a huge disservice to the real Bellota Jamon from Spain. However, if it gets Americans to seek out this type of product and they are able to taste them side by side, I think it would be beneficial for Spain.