Critique my Italy plans

Roscioli’s burrata with black truffle pearls…

I thought of that while writing my post but decided that listing 9/8, 9/9, 9/10 … 9/17 etc would make it clear enough that further clarification wasn’t needed. [whistle.gif]

Never assume your audience have an aptitude for logical deduction blush [wink.gif]

Yes that burrata is phenomenal!

You’re right about Roscioli’s burrata. And that reminded me about the Cantabrian sardines on lovely toasted bread with either lemon or vanilla butter - each phenomenal in their own way!

Thank you to everyone for the Roscioli recommendations! We have a reservation there for the first night now. If we’re awake enough we’ll walk back to the hotel from there but between jet lag and having to be up at 5am the next day for our Vatican tour we’ll have to see.

Now to review all the shopping and markets which Richard recommended and see what I can slot in where.

Many trips to Italy over the years and just spent a 3-month sabbatical studying Italian in Florence. This is good advice all the way around. I would add Hosteria Romana, near the Trevi Fountain as another classic. Their carbonara is worth a trip to Rome all by itself.

Many trips to Italy over the years and just spent a 3-month sabbatical studying Italian in Florence. This is good advice all the way around. I would add Hosteria Romana, near the Trevi Fountain as another classic. Their carbonara is worth a trip to Rome all by itself.

I’ve updated the schedule above. One bit of good news, I got an email today that my Coliseum tour was postponed until the afternoon which means we can go to the market at Ponte Milvio easily in the morning.

One question - after consulting train schedules it looks like we’d only have 3 1/2 hours in Lucca and I’m debating whether that’s worth the 2 hour round trip. On the one hand there will be no problem filling that time. One the other hand it’s more than half as much time traveling as visiting. On the third hand, Michael’s point still holds: “An afternoon in Lucca, please. You’ll be headed back soon once you see all the stuff you have to pass by.”

WTF? Gelato only once?

The hill towns of Lucca, San Giagmiono and Volterra worth the effort.

Hi Jay
I’d drop Lucca.

Where are you getting 2 hr round trip (from Firenze) to Lucca by train? I’m getting ~ 1hr 50 mins EACH WAY with minimum 1 change on trenitalia. Is it an Italo train route?

However google maps shows a ‘vaibus’ route at 1hr 10 mins, not especially regularly. Then factor in getting to the bus station, buying a ticket, leaving enough leeway to make sure you don’t miss it, plus the same on the return, and you’ll be looking at 3 hours round trip minimum. That in effect means more time travelling than in the place you are visiting. Doable, but IMO a great example of trying to see more and ending up seeing less.

Is the Uffizi tour movable to the middle of the day, or at least late morning? This gives the option of a relative lie in (8:15am appointment!! it’s a holiday, not boot camp [wink.gif]) , or a morning stroll around popular locations before the tourist hordes are there en-masse. Also time to have a mid-morning coffee - and for many finding a charming piazza to take coffee outside is far from a waste of 30 mins, but a highlight. The charge may be steep for a fancy piazza in Firenze, but you bought your coffee, the seat is yours for as long as you want it, and it gives a great chance to observe and take it all in.

Regards
Ian

Ian is a stud on the travel forum.

Shows a 1 hour 16 minute travel time (which does, of course, come to 2 hours 32 minutes round trip so my bad there).

Really odd - just re-checked Trenitalia and these direct trains are now showing. Maybe I picked an odd day (with engineering works?). Sorry for the confusion.

So yes, 2.5 hours actually on the train, though Firenze hotel to centre of Lucca might be ~ 2 hours (it’s 10-15 min walk from the station in Lucca to the centre, not far compared to many, plus hotel to Santa Maria Station walk or taxi, plus some safety margin to avoid missing the trains).

I reckon that ~ 4 hours ‘door to door’ travel would be a lot less pleasing / more tiring than many things you could do in Firenze. Much as I liked Lucca, I’m not sure it would make up for the travelling (on a simple regionale train - different for the fancier/faster Freccia trains which are more of a joy, yet still reasonably priced). I’d probably want to put a good aside for 45 mins rooting around for old gems in Enoteca Vanni’s cellar, further reducing time to appreciate a rewarding small city.

My thought in scheduling the early Uffizi tour was precisely that it is a popular location and would be less crowded that time of day.

Best news is that temps in Rome and Florence are supposed to drop significantly starting tomorrow though we may be seeing some rain while we’re there. But I’ll take rain any day over the heat they’ve been enduring for the last month.

I’m afraid that your plans suffer from the weakness that most of my friends’ Italy tour plans suffer from - you leave and come home

Hi Jay
Fair enough. Worth considering that elongated coffee stop in a nice location when you get out of the Uffizi. Even in a tourist city, it is great to sit & observe & take the vibe in. Perhaps even time for a pre-lunch glass of something nice?

Good news on the temperature drop, and for many cities rain isn’t a handicap as so much time is spent indoors or under cover

regards
Ian

Layover in Heathrow where we had some flat whites, we’re now in Rome, have picked up our personal wifi and are headed to the train.

Hope it all works out well!

Would love to hear how it all works out. Have a fabulous time!