Croatia Recommendations?

We do not like to drive anymore, and while we have a couple of road trips in the plans, it’s where there aren’t other options (like Brittany, or Sicily). I am a very experienced traveler, and am not a stranger to driving in Europe, have done it for 40 years. Appreciate the advice to skip Hvar if I don’t have a car, will do so.

I also don’t like driving around and exploring anymore. I find the place I am at is usually as nice as the next place. I prefer to go slow. For me, Split is easily more than a half day/full day. That being said, an day trip an hour away sounds nice and as I will be picking up the car in Split to go to Plitvice, picking it up a day earlier would be fine (although I found Uber reasonable in Split, not sure about the smaller towns).

So if I had three full days in Split, using one as a day trip would be in my wheelhouse. But if I arrived late and left early with three nights, I’ll stay in Split for both days. I appreciate the suggestions of Trogir, Sibernik and Primosten. I’ll see which has the most for the shortest drive.

It’s actually my third trip (first was before it was Croatia but Yugoslavia). I drove from Athens to Paris through Montenegro and Yugoslavia; spent quite a while doing so. Saw Dubrovnik Split and Plitvice in 1976.

I will be starting the trip at a beach for five nights, beaches the rest of the trip aren’t important unless I stop at an Island. No interest in visiting wineries. The small towns are of great interest when it doesn’t involve a lot of extra driving (or I get a car and driver), so thanks for those suggestions.

1 Like

Funny, my dad did a similar journey around the same time. Can imagine that will make the trip even more memorable.

It was actually Paris to Italy to Greece to Samos and then back via Greece, Macedonia, Montenegto, etc.

In those days the Dubrovnik police didn’t like hippies and would them way out of town and drop them off (at least that’s how the stories went)… I was notably upset when they pulled us into the station for a traffic violation but they let us go after an hour as the cops who spoke English were out to extended lunch.

Then there were the two hitchhikers that got into a fight in my backseat -one a Bosnian and the other a Croatian ( or Montenegrin). Over who was going to have me over their place for watermelon. Had to ask them to get out.

And a couple other stories befitting a 23 year old.

2 Likes

Wow. While I don’t think your trip now will be that adventurous I’m sure you’ll have a great time and who knows, maybe you get to try both watermelons this time around :smiley: