Current List of California Vineyard’s Not releasing 2020 Wines

Yes!
Surprised to see that.

Bayoneting the wounded here, are we?? [scratch.gif]

Guess they are doing what screagle did opening up the library.

Matt A wrote: ↑Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:08 pm
No wine from Nine Suns or Vice Versa.
Who?

Nine Suns is not cheap but making some really good wines.

1 Like

Sadly for 2020, we are not making :disappointed:

• Stagecoach Vineyard cabernet
  • Yates (Mt. Veeder) cabernet
  • Orchard Avenue (Oak Knoll) merlot

I’ll save my pennies.

Jeff Cohn Cellars is refraining from bottling 2020 vintage wines.

From Jeff Cohn’s Blog:
September 28, 2020

The 2020 Harvest - Let It Go!

"…What is for discussion is smoke taint! As Elton John stated so well: ‘And all the science, I don’t understand, its just my job five days a week.’

"While other wineries and producers have had much better luck with either vineyards’ location and/or harvest timing - this year, we are not so fortunate. Here’s why:

"I know how it happens and I know what the final wine smells and tastes like, and I am here to promise you, that for the 2020 vintage we will not bring in any grapes that we feel might be tainted.

"Each of our vineyards’ grapes has been sampled and sent to the lab to be tested for smoke taint, but the problem is the month-long backlog. So small amounts of the fruit have been picked and at the winery we are doing micro-fermentations to see if there are any traces of smoke taint by smell and taste.

"At this point, I can tell a good percentage are indeed showing the effects of these wildfires. It has been a very stressful time making decisions that not only affect the winery, but the growers as well. I feel so small, worrying about smoke taint in wine, while so many acres of land and properties have burned and so much destroyed. So many people’s lives have been forever changed.

"Trusting My Gut

"As I drive through Napa and Sonoma and watch the full bins of fruit drive by in loaded trucks, you begin to second guess yourself, but I know where my vineyards are located, and I know where those fires were. I have sat in vineyards with smoke all around and ash dropping on me, and then come home smelling like a fire pit.

"I trust my gut instinct more than anything else and I know I am doing the right thing for our growers, winery, and most importantly our consumers who expect us to make only the best wines possible.

For many, 2020 has produced beautiful fruit that will become delicious wine. The 2020 harvest breaks my heart, but let it go and enjoy our amazing 2016s and soon, the 2017s.

JC Cellars website:

I think this would be an interesting thread - and MUCH more accessible - if these were in a list, rather than people just adding a name in a different post. I will collate the above mentioned names. Further additions could simply copy/paste the list, and add the new winery, to keep a single list. If that list could get updated/posted to the first post it would help even more.

Realm
Fait Main
Shafor
Lamborn (estate)
Montelena
David Arthur
Nine Suns
Vice Versa
Soliste
Kevin harvey
Beta
Neal Family
Kinsella
Black Sears
Scarecrow
Stagecoach vineyard cab
Yates (Mt Veeder cab)
Orchard Avenue merlot

If anyone has additional wineries from the “fire” thread, please merge them here. Thanks!

1 Like

TOR

“I have been a vintner for 44 vintages and 2020 was the most difficult, due mostly to two fires. Fire complicates making fine wine on many levels, and knowing the diversity of Napa Valley as well as I do, I’m convinced there will be some very fine, possibly exceptional wines made. But there will be few. I never thought I would say this, but TOR will not make any Cabernet Sauvignon in 2020. Together, our growers and us made the very difficult decision not to pick in 2020 based on the high bar we set for putting our names on a wine.

Realm
Fait Main
Shafor
Lamborn (estate)
Montelena
David Arthur
Nine Suns
Vice Versa
Soliste
Kevin harvey
Beta
Neal Family
Kinsella
Black Sears
Scarecrow
JEC Stagecoach vineyard cab
JEC Yates (Mt Veeder cab)
JEC Orchard Avenue merlot
TOR

Any update to this list? Just bored/curious .

I would have to believe more Santa Cruz Mtns vineyards will be added to this list and possibly Anderson Valley and Oregon ones as well. . .

Updating as of January 1st for everyone. (And alphabetizing).

Beta
Black Sears
David Arthur
Fait Main
JEC Orchard Avenue merlot
JEC Stagecoach vineyard cab
JEC Yates (Mt Veeder cab)
Kevin harvey
Kinsella
Lamborn Family Vineyards
Montelena
Neal Family
Nine Suns
Realm
Scarecrow
Shafor
Smith Story Wine Cellars (Obsidian Wine Co.)
Soliste
St. Supery (no red grapes, semillion, and moscato from Dollarhide Vineyard / Napa Pope Valley)
TOR
Vice Versa

Kenefick Ranch. From the website:

“The 2020 Glass fire cost Kenefick its production when the winery facility they were using was lost.”

Drinkward Peschon lost their 2019 & 2020 vintages when the building in which they were stored burned (Behrens Hitchcock, IIRC).

Visited Outpost a couple weeks ago, and they are also a no go for 2020 vintage.

Are there any other wineries to add to this list?

I know Kinsman Eades isn’t producing a 2020 cabernet either.

As the 2018/2019 allocation session is entering its final quarter, I’m curious as to who else may not have a 2020 to offer.

Visited the Heitz Estate, they had one barrel of chardonnay, no 2020 cab for them either.

We won’t be releasing 98% of our wines at Reeve Wines. We have released a small amount of rose and will have a blanc de blanc (picked before the fires) that will be released in about 3 years.