Daily drinker Scotches

Actually a Scottish that I befriended at a tasting one day told me that the best way to find a tourist in a pub is to sport those who drink their whisky neat. lol

As well as people drinking just whisky there are all those having a ‘hauf n a hauf’ … make sure to count them too!
And the comments about water vs neat are dead on too.
It IS a while since I was there and it’s always possible the younger generation has been corrupted by vodka or tequila or something.

I thought the OP was about “daily drinkers!” What’s up with all you Highland Park 12 and Caol Ila and Lag 16, and on and on folks…those are you dailys? I love those whiskys, but that’s crazy. I read it and I immediately thought of some blended stuff that is tasty, but south of the $50 or so mark. I’d love to see more in that range, if they exist.

That is what I was trying to get, but I think I asked the wrong group of high rollers. I’m still stuck on my rotation of Tomatin 12, Glenmorangie 10, and Monkey Shoulder.

I’m going to have to try and find this, “Monkey Shoulder” stuff. Never heard of it.

It is fairly widely available in all big box stores and fairly well stocked liquor stores. Most will have it near bottom shelf though I find at around $35ish.

Late to this party, but for a daily blended whisky to mix with ice, soda or water depending on your preference - White Horse is a good bet.

Or Famous Grouse.
Personal favourite is Té Bheag, a blended malt (as opposed to grain).
And for a daily priced 12 yr old malt, Poit Dhubh from Skye.
Not only priced for daily consumption but the flavour profiles are also suitable.

This is going to be my daily drinker tomorrow:
IMG_2459.JPG

^^^ You’ll do anything to make your hands look bigger!

[rofl.gif]

I don’t know of any single malts in the $30 - $35 range that I would ever buy. The three I recommended, however, can be found in the $40 - $50 range, and I consider that a great deal considering how little one drinks at a time.

I didn’t even know Aberlour made a 10 yr.

Yup. Unfortunately, not as readily available in the States as the 12 yo or the cask-strength A’bundah. The A’bundah gets lots of good reviews, but I think it’s nearly kerosene. If you can find the Aberlour 10, it will be affordable and it is worth buying.

We may have very different palates. I find the A’bunadh delicious to no end, especially the earlier batches. Then again, I like Sherry-ed whiskies… and peated whiskies… and whiskies…

The last couple of evenings I have sipped my Teacher’s. It is not great scotch, good single malt, or premium blend. It is very good supermarket scotch, and on sale for €8,99 next week.

Different palates a possibility, for sure. You’re not anywhere close to being alone in enjoying the A’bundah. I used to looooove sherried whiskies … until I got into sherry; ever since, I tend to find the sherry barrel influence too strong/distracting; they do taste awfully good, though.

Does Blended Scotch Still Have a Place in the Modern Bar? https://nyti.ms/2FQrfH7

I always liked the Aberlour 10, but they don’t make it anymore, do they?

Don’t know. It was always in my cabinet while in UK from 2011 - 2014. About $30, and sometimes snagged it for about $25 on sale, iirc. Maybe it makes some markets and not others?