Dalla Valle

Offered estate cab but no Maya … will probably buy the minimum 3 with hopes it puts me in striking distance of ‘18 Maya next year.

Just got an offer for the 2018 Maya and Cabernet. Any insight on these, and how they compare to others in their price point?

Same I got both the Maya and Cabernet… Maya is a double 100pt wine (JD, WA) for what’s worth. Might pull the trigger on a 3pack…

I also got the offer for Maya + Cab; bought 6 of the Maya.

Anyone hear about a 2018 MDV? I saw a reference to it on cellartracker but nowhere else as of yet.

Pulled trigger on 3 Maya… expensive year so far and it’s only March!

image.png
I’m not on the list
cray.gif
Can anyone provide current release pricing for Maya and the Cab as a reference? Been thinking about adding some of these to try. My wife has is gravitating to the Cab/Cab Franc blends.

Years ago, Jason Goldberger and Jamie Kutch visited my rat-trap shoe box, where we drank the 1996 CS. Just lovely.

2018 Maya: $450
2018 Cab: $225

1 Like

Answering my own question - I wrote to DV about it; apparently, they expect to offer MDV at some point in the Summer. Hopefully they remember me fondly :slight_smile:

If you play the auction markets, look for the 2002 cab - perfect now. Also had the 2010 recently - needs five more.

The 2004 is also drinking very well now. We had our 2nd of 6 last year.

Dalla Valle is an estate that sort of baffles me how it flies under the radar a bit on WB. It has strong auction interest and performance, great scores (for those who care) and is a blue chip cult producer that has some of the best dirt in Napa. I don’t want to name names because I don’t want it to seem like a negative comment - and it’s not - but it seems like every $200+ release out of Napa garners multi-page threads while DV just cruises along under the radar.

DV Maya is a benchmark wine for Napa IMO.

I’ve only had the mid 90’s - 94, 96 and 97. When I was waiting tables in college, I’d often point some of the higher spending regulars to Dalla Valle and Araujo over the Napa cabs they were familiar with, with the note that it was about $50 more than they regularly spend. At that time on that super overpriced resort wine list Dalla Valle was about $200/bottle.

Just had a lovely 93 Dalla Valle. These 90-96 vintages still show up at auction once and a while?

I received my reminder email to purchase by 3/22
I am really on the fence with this offer.
I bought the 16’s, skipped the 17’s, and noticed the 18 prices jumped. The main reason why I am on the fence is because with a couple years of patience, I can usually find them via wine searcher from a reliable retailer at or below cost. Plus no tax and less shipping.

I’m gonna open a 2016 Maya this weekend and then make my decision.

2 Likes

I buy them (estate) whenever I come across them at auction. Hard pressed to drink a finer CA cab.

Well … MDV cab sold out in 3 hours today at $550/btl. Given the limited production (and the fact that only bottles available on secondary market are over $1200/ea), I suppose that’s not too surprising!

I jumped on that the second the offer hit my inbox. RIP to my budget, but I’m certainly looking forward to October when they ship! [cheers.gif]

My offer was only for three bottles, though you could wishlist up to 6 total. I wonder if anyone actually got their wish?

FWIW I did too - and got frustrated with bad internet on the beach when it actually took like 7-8 mins to get it done. I requested another 3, but I fully expect to be shut out on that.