Damn it; I like ketchup with my hot dog.

It’s the law

https://www.hot-dog.org/culture/hot-dog-etiquette

It’s a (culinary) crime against humanity. Like putting cheese on seafood pasta, dunking sushi rice in soy/wasabi sludge, well done grilled anything, ketchup/tomato-based sauce on BBQ, ice in fine whisky, blueberry bagels, ketchup or mayo (or both) on a pastrami sandwich, and so on. In addition to being a serious crime, also an irrefutable indication of serious character flaw. The only legal use for ketchup is with french fries for children under the age of 5.

Why do you hate children under the age of five?

-Al

It astounds me that so many people I thought were cultured and well-educated, are apparently philistines raised by wolves. [wink.gif]

To be fair, eat them how you like them. It’s kind of like sports loyalties, the rhetoric can easily become overheated.

-Al

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

[rofl.gif]

Blueberry bagels are my favorite.

An abomination. But not as bad as the bacon bagel that I once saw

A.) try ordering a dog w/ketchup at this place on Clark st. Make sure someone is video-recording you and the ‘hostess’ when you order:

2.) here’s a good dipping sauce for mini cocktail dogs…basically chicago-style toppings blended together.

The recipe:

2 pickle spears
6 sport peppers
1 small tomato
1/3 cup white onion
3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
celery salt to taste

Blend in a food processor until the sauce is the desired consistency.

While I personally have no use for ketchup, I honestly don’t give a hoot what condiment people put on their hot dogs. I do, however, object to cutesy terms like “sammy” and “sando,” so I can’t really claim to be open and accepting in the sandwich department.

We use ketchup in some bbq sauce recipes. Sometimes/usually on fries but that is about it. Oh, and sauteed beef/calves liver! [swoon.gif]

Uh, notice that these “rules” contain no endorsement of putting salad on hot dogs as Chicagoans do. Plus, why would the rest of the world accept, as gospel, the opinion of those that consider this pizza [wow.gif] :

The no ketchup rule is one of the silliest, and least supported food edicts out there. I wonder what percentage of the hot dogs consumed are actually consumed without ketchup. I’d guess that with ketchup is aboveboard 50%. It’s understandable that some don’t like it. If I had an either/or choice, I’d choose mustard. But that’s rarely the case, so I use both as a lot of people do. But I’m from Pittsburgh, so a complete disdain for ketchup is sacrilege.

Must like ketchup on your steak. Same effect as on a dog

C’mon now David, that’s just harsh…

I mean, we all know John likes a salad on his steak.

May as well put sugar directly on the hot dog

A hot dog is akin to a sandwich. A steak isn’t. A dog is much closer to a burger. Do you think it’s absurd to put ketchup on a burger? But using your logic, would YOU pile tomatoes, a pickle, and (Gag!) sweet pickle relish on a steak? Seriously, if there were an accurate all-encompassing American poll, I wonder whether the winner would be a Chicago dog, or the same dog with mustard and ketchup? If I’m in Chicago, I go Italian beef.

Btw, I use whatever ketchup is available when out, but at home we use Heinz No Sugar Added.

The only thing that’s worse than ketchup on a hot dog is mayo on pastrami, with a double whammy when you put it on white bread. I actually have no idea how mayo would taste on pastrami, and I hope I never do.

It pastrami on white bread is akin to a sandwich, so ketchup would be fine

Anything but ketchup is the correct answer for crisp, golden fries— garlic aioli or dijon being my faves.

But if you need ketchup for anything else, Heinz Organic is #1.

A little mustard AND a little ketchup for a sweet/savory umami thing…what’s wrong with that?