Damn it; I like ketchup with my hot dog.

Does Russian dressing count in the Ketchup or Mayo family? The James Beard Foundation likes it

The Langer’s #19 flies out of the kitchen every bit as much as the standard with just mustard. I love both. They’re just different.

Does Russian dressing count in the Ketchup or Mayo family? The James Beard Foundation likes it

The Langer’s #19 flies out of the kitchen every bit as much as the standard with just mustard. I love both. They’re just different.

P
Some of you probably don’t drink latte/cappuccino after 11am either. :slight_smile:

Russian dressing in pastrami is an abomination, for the same and an additional reason. After all the work put in to make a perfect pastrami, why in the world would one cover it up with dressing. I’ve only had Langer’s once, and my recollection is that maybe the pastrami is worth covering up.

I did know an old Jewish guy who owned a deli who refused to make a pastrami on white bread with mayo for a co-worker of mine. Sometimes you just have to draw the line

You guys have to remember that when most people think of pastrami it’s of the prepackaged Oscar Meyer cold cut variety, which (as you know) has little do with real pastrami. Same with corned beef.

Just realize that a huge segment of the population disagrees with you and that the attempt to present your preference as objective is debatable. First off, I think I know pastrami. I love it, have it all over the country, and attend to all sorts of critical discussion of various sources. You are in the extreme minority if you believe that Langer’s has poor quality pastrami. I’ve had some pastrami that is just as good, and there are simply subtle differences in style, but Langer’s history and patronage is not based upon illusion. Never have had Schwarz’s smoked meat.

The objective distinctions based upon how hard it is to make the pastrami meat, or an alleged difference between one condiment (mustard) and another (Russian dressing) are just subjective. People use condiments and sauces on things. Even things that may taste fine on their own and that take some effort to make. If you make a carne asada taco out of high quality beef, do you object to putting anything else on the taco? Do you eat a good quality burger without additions? Do you eat Italian beef or cheesesteaks with just meat. Pastrami is tasty, but it is really not massively different than good roasted turkey/chicken, roast beef, ham, a burger, gyros, etc. They make sandwiches. People put condiments on all of them. I can’t imagine what you think about a chicken salad sandwich?

As I said, I like pastrami with just mustard too. It is more “pure”. That doesn’t mean that something with added ingredients doesn’t taste good as well. Taste aside, one difference between the standard and the #19 at Langer’s is that a stacked standard pastrami sandwich, with a schmear of mustard I said noticeably drier. The dressing and the slaw add some juiciness. As far as flavor, the slight sweetness/acid of the two do fine with the peppery/salty character of the pastrami meat.

These food rules are just elitisms.

All of that said, I would not put coleslaw or dressing on THIS pastrami. It was perhaps the best I ever had. Made by fellow wine board member Saul Cooperstein. This was about ten years back, and legendary. A-5 Japanese Wagyu Rib Cap:
EB02904A-E40D-41A1-982D-0670F757F4C4.jpeg
5EFB788E-0705-4557-9E46-E8404CEE6721.jpeg

There is a “bagel” shop in Freehold, NJ that sells Oreo cookie bagels. My cousin brought me one after I expressed my opinion of it.

It was even worse than you’re thinking. A horror that echoes throughout time and space driving all who contemplate it to madness. A vile abomination spawned in the pits of hell. A crime not only against humanity but existence itself. An oreo cookie bagel.

You know I’m pulling your chain, right John. I have insufficient experience to pass on the quality of Langer’s pastrami since, as I noted, I’ve had it once 10-12 years ago) and it was not memorable. And I have had Russian dressing on corned beef in a Reuben, once or twice, but I personally could not do it on pastrami. This is probably a remnant if my childhood In which no deli in my neighborhood wod serve pastrami with ketchup.

As for Chicago dogs, I’m a Detroiter and cut my teeth on Coney Islands (mustard, chili and onions) - another city with enough sense to keep ketchup off of their wieners.

Tiny palate, ketchup as a confection, not a condiment. But, it goes without saying, that folks should eat their hot dogs, burgers, steaks, etc. as they like, being prepared for blowback.

Why are we talking about pastrami? Crappy meat, treated to cover up the crappiness, but sorry it’s still crappy. You’re a bunch of Philistines.

Corned beef on the other hand is what God eats on his day off…

Someone likes sugar…

Hey, I love Pastrami but like Corned Beef too. It’s delicious mixed with some sautéed onions and tomatoes, served over steamed white rice. Filipino-style.
2246384A-01AE-4227-A645-4123A0769B2A.jpeg
One of the reasons Langer’s is good is that, as compared to other delis, they supposedly are extremely selective and pay extra for the best navel cuts.

David, yes I am quite sure that you are just razzing about this, as am I. All in fun. Re Delis, there’s is a good book called “Save the Deli” by David? Sax. It gets cred by singing the praises of Langer’s and calling L.A. the best deli town :slight_smile:

Is this the bagel in question?
oreo bagel.jpg

I’m very familiar with the book. He also says Detroit has the best rye bread in the country. Of course, David is a Torontonian, so . . .

Having ketchup on your hot dog is a great warm up for a Red Wings game.

Lost me on that one, Anton

Old hockey joke.

I don’t eat ketchup or hot dogs.

Give me a brat with mustard as the minimum step up. Preferably also onions and peppers.

But then I’ve never lived in a city with a good hot dog culture, and maybe never had a good dog. But the temptation to try one when traveling is zero.

That’s it though I only had the bagel. The Bagel Nook in Freehold.

I would have to agree that it’s a vile abomination. This is why America has an obesity problem!

And for the record, the idea of putting ketchup on a hot dog is disgusting.