Danny Meyer Requiring Staff & Guests Be Vaccinated

It’s their choice if they don’t want to get vaccinated but don’t be assholes and put others at risk by lying about it. I guess this says a lot about you that you can call these people friends.

1 Like

David is not the only person facing this situation, involuntarily. Spouses, family members, and even the newly widowed…

One cannot control the thoughts and actions of others. Freedom to learn (or not) and to choose is permissible to both the vaccinated and un-vaccinated, in this country.

The vaccinated are more likely to educate and convince the un-vaccinated, via friendly dialogue than unfriendly or no dialogue. Everybody can then benefit. Open hearts enable open minds.

Wow. I don’t even know you and you don’t know me. Your true character has just been revealed by your lame personal attack. Sorry you go through life like this, I feel bad for you.

FYI.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3258630#p3258630

Sorry David, I agree with Paul on this one. I would find it very hard to remain friends with anyone who would lie and put other people at personal risk. They would no longer be a friend of mine.

1 Like

A person can, of course, choose to do so. I am not sure if society benefits.

If staying on friendly terms might change the mind and action of somebody, from anti-vaccine to pro-vaccine, then much societal good has arisen at scant personal expense.

Dining is a privilege, not a right, in my personal view. Working in a restaurant is typically an economic necessity, not a hobby.
So, if a restaurant requires that diners have vaccination proof, especially to protect workers and other diners, I am fine with that.

It’s not about that. I have friends that have not been vaccinated and they remain my very close friends. But if one lied about being vaccinated, created fake vaccination cards and put other people in danger than I would lose that friend really fast. I have a no tolerance policy about anyone who would knowingly put someone else in danger. Sad that you don’t agree.

3 Likes

I did not read carefully enough and overlooked the lying aspect. In that regard, separate of the non-vaccination, I would agree with you.

I would not cut off people who are honest about refusing to vaccinate.

Agreed.

I’m in full agreement with Paul. If someone chooses not to be vaccinated, I consider them irrational, I will not socialize with them during pandemic, but wish them well and would still consider friends. But anyone who who cheats/forges vaccination status would no longer be a friend. If you take a position, own it.

1 Like

+1

Here is a comment from a restaurant group beverage director on another forum which floored me, this person was responding to this comment the other day NYC vaccine mandate: New York City is the first US city to require proof of at least one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine for indoor dining, gyms, and performances.
"Vaccine mandates are an abhorrent affront to personal liberties, and should be treated as the authoritarian trojan horses that they are"

If so, so are hand-washing rules and non-tableside toilet requirements.

Free to choose to eat at home.

I would be very interested in knowing who said that and what restaurant group they are a part of.

Mike, DM Sent, really disheartening to see this from someone who’s livelihood rely’s on this.

We had an interesting experience tonight. A restaurant we like, Pizzeria Mercato in Chapel Hill (liberal college town in the county with the highest vaccination rate in the state) reopened to a few weeks ago for guests, and decided last week to require proof of vaccination, only the second or third place in our area to do so. As my family was entering the restaurant, 10 or 15 protesters with signs saying things like “Vaccine is Poison” picketed on the sidewalk in front of the place. What was funny though was it was like a flash mob, gone in 10 minutes. I am guessing there has been no picketing in NYC.

Victor that is true…made me think of “no shoes, no service” infringing on someone’s personal liberties to dine barefoot.

We started requiring proof of vaccination at our restaurant this past Tuesday. We turned off the ability to respond to social media posts and did not participate in any interviews with news outlets, so never got protesters. The people responding on social media and those protesters aren’t customers anyway. Our response has been 100% positive from real customers and we’ve seen un uptick in reservations I’m attributing to it. Our customers (and Gabe’s) want to feel safe, our staff wants to feel safe, and we want our business to keep going. It was the only choice to make. I wish that the city or county would mandate it.

4 Likes

We’ve eaten out here pretty much every day since the vaccine pass came into action ten days ago.

No issues so far.

There are the odd protests. Usually on a Saturday afternoon but you have to go out of your way to see them. There are always protests on Saturday for something or other.