Davenport Cellars is Closing 65% off all Wines

It is sad that Continuity wont be continuing.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve no familiarity with the wines, but seems like a total no-brainer price.
Always sad to see independent businesses shut down…I hope it was on the owners’ own terms.

I believe it was. My brother Brian can confirm but I think they were retiring.

1 Like

Yes, thanks for the referral. Got a case – seems like a great deal. Worse case we can use them for gifts or for people who are not too into wine – but I suspect we may enjoy these.

Yes, thanks for the referral. Got a case – seems like a great deal. Worse case we can use them for gifts or for people who are not too into wine – but I suspect we may enjoy these.

Hopefully the later of the 2 options.

Took a case too, including the Malbec. Malbec does well in WA St. Thank you!

Yes the owners were retiring.

Thx for the head’s up. I don’t know these guys but I know the vineyards and that’s enough at this price point. Glad to hear this is on the owners’ terms.

I took Continuity from 2008 and 2012, grabbed half bottles of the 2009 RMH and the fume blanc and meritage blanc from the most recent vintage.

Hello,

I am an owner of Davenport Cellars along with my wife, and the winemaker. I noticed a few questions and figured I should respond.

Our philosophy on winemaking is to express the vine and vintage. What that means is our wines depict the nuances of the vintage (weather) and express varietal typicity. We have been making the R.H.D. and Continuity blends since 2007, our first vintage. We use a minimalist approach to winemaking. After pressing, we settle the wines in stainless for a week and then rack off of the gross lees into French oak barrels. We purchased about 66% new oak each year. The Cab was targeted with a higher percent of new oak 70-75%, and the Merlot about 50%. Oak was used to add some subtle complexity. Once in barrel the wine was left untouched for 18-28 months, except for monthly topping.

When we were getting close to bottling we would bring our tasting panel together to taste through the barrels. While our Cab may have come from a single vineyard, the 13+ barrels were all different due to fermenting with different yeasts and sourcing barrels from four to seven different coopers. After the panel tastes and ranks the barrels, I begin the process of building test blends. Our varietal wines were not necessarily produced every year because we wanted the wine to truly express the grape. If we couldn’t do that using 100% of that grape, we didn’t produce it. We could have added Merlot, or Cab, or a splash of Syrah at times to tweak the wine but… we just chose to not do it. Once the test blends are tasted and finalized, we blend the entire lot and bottle un-fined and unfiltered. The reds then see 10-14 months of bottle age before release (whites were aged 3-8 months depending on stainless or oak fermentation).

The website still shows retail pricing. If you load your cart you will see the discount at checkout.

We retired from our day jobs in 2013 (me) and 2017 (my wife). We are now at a point in our lives where we want more time for ourselves and family and have decided to exit the business. This sale runs through 5pm on December 29th… if you snooze, you’ll lose. After that, and into 2020, any remaining wine will continue to be sold online, at local wine events, and to restaurants and wine shops.

Best regards,

Jeff

I ordered 1/2 case as well. At that price, it is certainly worth a trial!

Thanks for posting it.

I took a very mixed case. This should be interesting and fun.

1 Like

It’s one thing to be sad. Let’s not make a quantum leap to diss Continuity.

are they also offering a discount annuity?

On a more serious note, thank you to Jeff for posting the above. I am glad to hear that yours is a happy story of a voluntary move out of the business. I am looking forward to trying your wines. I just hope I don’t like them that much as it will make me even more sad that you are closing. :slight_smile:

Best of luck, and thank you for your dedication to producing something that sounds very special.

Ron

Hello,

I am an owner of Davenport Cellars along with my wife, and the winemaker. I noticed a few questions and figured I should respond.

Our philosophy on winemaking is to express the vine and vintage. What that means is our wines depict the nuances of the vintage (weather) and express varietal typicity. We have been making the R.H.D. and Continuity blends since 2007, our first vintage. We use a minimalist approach to winemaking. After pressing, we settle the wines in stainless for a week and then rack off of the gross lees into French oak barrels. We purchased about 66% new oak each year. The Cab was targeted with a higher percent of new oak 70-75%, and the Merlot about 50%. Oak was used to add some subtle complexity. Once in barrel the wine was left untouched for 18-28 months, except for monthly topping.

When we were getting close to bottling we would bring our tasting panel together to taste through the barrels. While our Cab may have come from a single vineyard, the 13+ barrels were all different due to fermenting with different yeasts and sourcing barrels from four to seven different coopers. After the panel tastes and ranks the barrels, I begin the process of building test blends. Our varietal wines were not necessarily produced every year because we wanted the wine to truly express the grape. If we couldn’t do that using 100% of that grape, we didn’t produce it. We could have added Merlot, or Cab, or a splash of Syrah at times to tweak the wine but… we just chose to not do it. Once the test blends are tasted and finalized, we blend the entire lot and bottle un-fined and unfiltered. The reds then see 10-14 months of bottle age before release (whites were aged 3-8 months depending on stainless or oak fermentation).

The website still shows retail pricing. If you load your cart you will see the discount at checkout.

We retired from our day jobs in 2013 (me) and 2017 (my wife). We are now at a point in our lives where we want more time for ourselves and family and have decided to exit the business. This sale runs through 5pm on December 29th… if you snooze, you’ll lose. After that, and into 2020, any remaining wine will continue to be sold online, at local wine events, and to restaurants and wine shops.

Best regards,

Jeff

Jeff thanks for posting. Sounds like I should order another case. In your retirement drink some great wines and post them on Wine Berserkers!
[cheers.gif]

This sale runs through 5pm on December 29th From the owner!

There’s some half bottles on ‘page 2’ you have to scroll all the way down to find it. Great price, order in.

Bunch of damn enablers on this board…mixed case ordered :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

[quoteBunch of damn enablers on this board…mixed case ordered ][/quote]Just think about this. A bottle is the cost of 2 over priced coffee drinks. Hope that makes you feel better. champagne.gif

In for 1/2 case. Can’t go wrong at the price point.

3x 08 continuity
3x 08 r.h.d

1 Like

I have been given orders by he who must be obeyed, no wine purchases until B-day!

1 Like