David Duband

Does anyone have experience with Domaine David Duband? I just had the 2021 Bourgogne at a restaurant in Rochester, MN. I had never heard of it but I really enjoyed the wine. The reviews that I can find are pretty lukewarm but he does have parcels in some GC vineyards. I would like to get further feedback before I jump in on his higher end stuff based on one glass, albeit a fantastic first experience.

i had a clos sorbe morey saint denis last fallā€¦i believe 2019 so obviously young. it feltā€¦fine? maybe hard to judge due to the youth but generally, these wines are discounted for a reason. theyre fine but certainly not the standard for the region.

Hi Ryan - I have some experience with Duband GC ( most recently with a Clos de la Roche). I know Duband is often aggressively touted as ā€œvalueā€ Burgundy ā€” and I find the wines enjoyable but, at GC levels, not fully expressive of the specific traits and qualities of the best producers. I think youā€™ve lucked out with a Bourgogne ; speaking for myself I would stick to Bourgogne and villages level wines with Duband and youā€™ll get a decent bottle of burg for a reasonable price ā€” not the easiest feat these days. At higher levels I donā€™t really think youā€™re getting quite the bargain thatā€™s often touted.

Ahh, David Duband. Some old timers will tell you he isnā€™t doing nearly as well with his best vineyards as did his predecessor, Jacky Truchot.

Jacky Truchotā€™s wines were made in a decidedly older fashion, but had a brilliance about them. But they are definitely marmite wines, meaning you either love the style or hate it, there is little in between.

But at least Truchotā€™s wines had character and distinctiveness. Iā€™m told Dubandā€™s wines have improved in recent years, and Iā€™ll be honest that I havenā€™t had them recently. But those Iā€™ve tried have been bland, having little to say about their site, or even their maker.

I guess this makes me an old-timer. For the record, @Jasper_Morris prefers Dubandā€™s wines to Truchotā€™s, and he knows 100x more about burgundy than I do.

2 Likes

Duband wines are made in a more transparent style, less barrel and more brightness, the style of wines donā€™t show a ton of character in their youth, and no one knows how they will ageā€¦

Also, the older style of wines he made were in his dads shadow, he had a pretty large shift in ā€˜14/ā€˜15/ā€˜16ā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve enjoyed Dubandā€™s entry level wines plenty. High drinkability, fresh and pretty transparent.

1 Like

I had a Nuits St. georgeā€™s Le ProcĆØs 2010 last year which was surprisingly good. Very good value at a reasonable price (I paid 50 EUR).

Iā€™ve had a few duband wines which have ranged from ho hum to superb. 11 Clos sorbe was actually one of the best 11s Iā€™ve had, and it was like $40.

1 Like

David Duband got Jacky Truchotā€™s vineyards in 2006. That is 18 years ago. Why wouldnā€™t anyone know how his wines age?

Iā€™ve had plenty of Duband and Francois Feuillet wines from around 2009-2012 and they are aging beautifully. Highly perfumed, elegant and ethereal wines. Not forced in any way.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an interesting perspective on Truchot that Iā€™ve not heard anyone express before. Iā€™ve had a fair amount of Truchotā€™s wines and Iā€™ve always found them somewhat old fashioned, earthy and rustic, but I donā€™t know anyone who hates the style. Iā€™ve always thought Jouan approximates the style fairly well.

Personally, Iā€™ve always found Dubandā€™s wines extremely influenced by the oak regimen. Opinions differ, of course, but I wouldnā€™t use the word ā€œtransparentā€ for the style.

1 Like

I went back and found my note on that 11 duband Clos sorbe, it was from 2017, and I did really like it.

I like Jouanā€™s wines a lot, but if you have ever had one side-by-side with a Truchot wine, you would see that they are just not in the same class as what Jacky Truchot made.

I have had them side by side, yes.

Iā€™m generally in the camp that I like Dubandā€™s wines. What Iā€™ve had from the past 5 - 7 vintages feels quite aligned with the fashionable post-modern ideas of burgundy: infusion rather than extraction, transparency (eg. lightness/elegance), and not much intrusive oak.

From what Iā€™ve pieced together, initially when he started there was more use of heavy handed oak that was backed off shortly after, and that may have tainted some views.

I think many newer burgundy drinkers have little affection for this rustic style. I also know several experienced drinkers who just donā€™t get on with it. What I like about it versus some other old fashioned burgs is that the wines are generally friendly and approachable versus being tannic and challenging. I personally love this style, and sometimes enjoy it as more polished wines like DRC and Rousseau. Iā€™m happy being in the minority there.

I agree with you that Jouan is made in a similar style though maybe more recent vintages are ā€œcleaner.ā€ I also understand that you donā€™t mean Jouan and Truchot are exactly the same.

I thought I agreed with you on this, but I had a stunning 2009 Jouan CSD last week that is making me wonder.

I suspect that Jacky did better in challenging vintages than Henri. Dude practically lived in the vineyard, right?

Iā€™m honestly not sure what you mean? Rousseau and DRC are made in very different styles and rustic wines arenā€™t especially divisive; while I may not love Chevillon, itā€™s not an either or proposition. When I think of divisive styles in Burgundy, I think of Laurentā€™s ā€œmagic oakā€ circa 2000, Armand Heitzā€™s unique views, Cossard, etc.

At any rate, weā€™ve moved far afield from Duband.

1 Like

That is my understanding. Apparently, he was the first person out in the vineyards every morning.

Donā€™t get me wrong. I very much like Jouanā€™s wines and I have a bunch of them. I am not at all criticizing him. For me, the comparison is like Jouan is Scotty Pippen and Truchot is MJ.