Diamond Creek Offer - Only the rich need apply

Ooooo…'dems fightin’ words. [inquisition.gif]

This.

So $200 to get a relatively small production Napa cab with a proven track record and history of aging well, compared to mega-thousand case Bdx at a comparable price? I can see their pricing logic.

Now if you move down into the $50-$150 range, Bdx kicks Napa’s ass (Corison being a rare exception).

Don’t ignore the Matthiasson Cabernet, Merlot and Red Wine. Serious stuff under $100. The Cab is around $60.

Frankly, if anyone deserves these prices, it’s Diamond Creek. They age well, and are from some of this country’s very top sites.

Not sure what Roy Piper or his wines have to do with Diamond Creek… strawman

Sometimes, I think having a track record is what pisses people off.

If someone recalls a wine going for 30 bucks and now it goes over 200, it’s a case of thinking that the underlying cost of production doesn’t justify the price, it’s purely price hiking (above inflation costs, etc.)

Some new high end wine gets a pass because there are higher cost barriers to entering the market: grapes, new facility, etc.

A new cab from a new facility using purchased grapes might need to enter the market at a higher price and we nod along.

Jacking up the price of a wine just because the market may bear it tastes different.

This is not sour grapes, just commenting on how the same pricing may yield different perceptions.

I have no horse in this race, just thinking about human nature.

That’s a statement that stinks of thoughtfulness and logic. I reject it outright on the grounds that Alan was miles away from that mindset’s zip code when he crafted the OP. Diamond Creek pricing has been relatively consistent for several years and unless I’m mistaken, Alan hasn’t been buying it. He used it to complain about Napa price increases, which is a macro matter.

Serious question: does anyone really think the pricing of one winery is indicative of an entire region’s future success or failure?

Heck no, it’s not. Napa would have died years ago if one, or even several overpriced wines doomed the region’s future. Harlan, Screagle, etc. make Diamond Creek look cheap, and have for years.

No. Screaming Eagle’s pricing has no bearing or correlation to Napa’s success or failure.

They can charge two grand a bottle in a bad year and get it whilst the rest of the valley crumbles.

No issue with what they want to charge, but charging for a tasting at that price pint if you buy is a bit obnoxious. Purchased several at/near/above that price point, with similar or smaller production, with no tasting fee.

Your correct i dont buy DC but i do buy several cabs in the $100-$250 range. Again your correct that im just using them as an example as i am with Roy Piper, i have nothing against either wine just examples. If you look at Bdx the prices kept on rising but a few years back they hit a major speed bump and some rethinking was required, i just feel that Napa is getting close to a similar speed bump. How many people will ultimately support $200 cabs let alone the splurge of $5-600 cabs someone mentioned.

Ditto for me but in the 1990s.

But I always did wonder. And now that I think about it, I’ve actually never even tried a bottle. And yet, sadly for me, have had several Screagles, Harlans, Sacrecrows, Mayas, Hundred Acres, yada yada. Besides Maya, the others were yawners.

Now I’m curious again. What mature vintages should I consider?

1995 is stellar.

1978 is benchmark Napa Cab from DC, but very spendy.

Which cuvee?

All three are very good, but if forced to pick one it would be Volcanic Hill for me.

Alan, understand your POV. I’ve picked up DC bottles at auction (early 80s and 90s) as the only bidder and was subsequently blown away by how good they were. However, I’ve never bought direct and couldn’t tell you that I know anyone who has. I can certainly speak to the greatness and longevity of their wines from experience, but I wonder about the long term business model if very few people under a certain age group have ever tried the wine.

That is unfair…Roy pays the market price for fruit and prices his wine accordingly based on COGS. Most Bordelais, for as much as they may have paid for the land, own their property.

Slightly off topic

I remember in the late 90s buying some early 80s vintage DC from a grocery store in DC (Wagshals?) and the wines were in prime form.

Took them to Northern CA and drank them on the beach.

Im not attacking Roy, im just talking about the economics of Napa generally.