Diamond Creek Offer - Only the rich need apply

2007 be like, “I’m back, suckas…”

Have had some stunning bottles from mid 80’s

I’ll bring one over for the next round of bacchanalian fun…

I have had some stunning wines from Diamond Creek, including a 1978 Volcanic Hill that was better (at least on the night we tasted it) than a 1979 Lafite. But, that wine was made by Al Brounstein, who unfortunately has passed away. I have not had any DC wines of more recent vintages. Who is making the wines now and are they still up to the standards of the wines made by Al Brounstein.

Shhhhhhhh, Realm Cellars “The Bard”.

Back in the 80’s they would hold their annual picnic where you could taste the new releases. Things have changed, I guess, since Al and Boots passed. But yes, they were for a long time the most expensive wines in the valley.

Boots has not passed away. She is 92 and lives on the property.

I’m a little tired of this argument because economic theory would suggest that, therefore, you (as a consumer) would simply procure the less-expensive alternative…all things ‘being equal’. So we ought to drink more Bordeaux!

And frankly, when I went to the Diamond Creek website yesterday to check it out (I’m guessing DC got a few orders from this thread and the universally positive remarks about the wine, other than current pricing, maybe) and saw that the properietor’s name is Boots, and saw her pic and her message on the site, I just about signed up to buy as well. Freakin’ Boots! AWESOME!

Al Brounstein was a real character, obsessed by three things, his wife,Boots, the different Terroirs of DC, and finally how much people would pay for the Lake.

He showed me an article that put it in the top five.

While I buy very few Napa Cabs anymore, I would continue to buy Roy’s wine. The price is fair compared to other wines, Roy is a great guy and I would rather support someone I know and like than some of the other options available. I dropped Harlan, Colgin, Araujo, as well as many others. To each his own.

Current winemaker is Phil Steinschreiber, never heard of him - anybody?

I am happy to be able to buy Roy’s fine wine.

He is my exemplar of the perfect proprietor.

1 Like

So, all the Bordelais need to sell their properties (too many have already done so to banks and insurance companies) so that the new owners can sell the wines for market value?

1 Like

Years ago, at a MacArthur’s barrel sample tasting of California wines, I mentioned to Boots that I had recently had their 1978 Volcanic Hill and liked it better than Lafite (see above) and she was so excited she went to tell Al and had him come over to talk with us. Mark, do you know whether he had Parkinsons or something like that in his later years. My memory of meeting him that evening was his hand shaking.

These certainly are much better reasons to buy his wines than is he prices based on COGS.

Yes, he was well known to have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s

He’s been the winemaker for the last 27 years. He has his own wine label called WaterMark which he uses Mt. Veeder Fruit. About $70ish retail I think.

Yup, sadly true

Pictures from my recent Diamond Creek Vineyards visit
CC898FBA-F1B0-4D2F-85E9-8B4D6A195CFD.jpeg
DF16F0F3-A7CA-43CC-8750-27843DA941E0.jpeg
4EAF4565-2473-4845-BBAA-B50D8E6025C2.jpeg
41801807-6154-42B7-8BC3-06D5026B3079.jpeg