Discussion of 2001 Red Burgs

very broad strokes, in a nutshell, that’s exactly my experience. i also feel strongly that it’s not a truly great vintage up and down – i’ve had some profound wines, but they are from the best producers, mostly Grand Cru, and in the Nuits for the most part.

to me, the most exciting (not a very surprising list):

Rousseau Grand Crus across the board and CSJ (Mazis is a little light)

A few Potel - Richebourg, RSV, and GE especially

DRC (duh) - though a recent GE was kinda tart and tight, but I’d bet on it.

Lambrays (duh)

Arnoux Suchots is hit and miss, mostly hits though

Mugnier hit it out of the park across the board

As did Drouhin - especially Griotte and PM

Dujac – all the GCs especially

I have some MGs, but haven’t cracked yet.

That’s exactly right. I don’t think the vintage was ever as good as people were saying it was.

Roty Charmes VV was a rock star on release and showed NOTHING circa 2008. I’d be scared to try another one anytime soon.

I never rated it that highly, I have it ahead of 07,00,04 but that is it. A vintage I mainly bought at GC level and pleased I did, brilliant Musigny’s - Mugnier and de Vogue. I have a few GC Gevrey’s, and VR’s so will check one out, probably a Gevrey.

but no one was ever saying it was as good as you’ve been saying they’ve been saying.

Exactly my thought when I read keith’s post!

Gilman?

After initial surliness this was a delightful vintage to drink young. A couple of years ago most of mine seemed to become less enjoyable so I stopped drinking them, I’ll have another look in five years time. To me at least signs of premature ageing in ten year old wines have been so thoroughly misleading in the past that I am untroubled by reports of this; I do not think it a great vintage but like 98 it is one that I find especially appetising and appealing.
I remember Keith L. writing that this was a vintage to be avoided at the lower levels.It seems to me that the best sources made wonderful village wines but these wines in this vintage certainly sort the sheep from the goats, I’ve had some very bad ones from lesser producers.

I’ve been trying to keep my hands off these, lately, as my inventory is down to the better Premier Crus and the Grand Crus. In the last four months, though, I’ve been served Clos des Lambray and Barthod Chambolle Les Cras. Each was powerful (in its own way), and I thought neither was yet at its peak. I did not detect any signs of premature aging.

However, a friend of mine, who is a very good taster and does not read wine boards (and, thus, is not susceptible to other’s suggestions) has commented to me about the premature aging of several 01s he’s recently tasted. So, Kevin, your observation and concern seem to be shared by some.

I’d like to bump up my question on color, particularly in light of Berry’s reminder of what 2003 weather was like in France, when these wines were shipped. I was rather surprised at how amber these 10-year-old wines were when first poured. Would that cause any concern?

'01 has to be ahead of '03 as well . . .

Had the 2001 Burguet, Mes favorites this weekend - 2nd in a few months. Lovely.

2001 Clos St. Denis, M. Magnien shows more fruit than many other 2001s but I think it generally does.

There have been many discussion of the issues with 2001 Clos. St. Jacques, Fourrier.

Pat

I think most would agree with you but I have much more faith in the better 03’s to evolve into something special, something I am less inclined to believe many of the 01’s will do. Cheers Mike

random - i had 2001 clair beze on new years that was really awesome, rocking actually, but did seem mature (structurally, not fruit-wize).

I agree with Mike-I’d be surprised if 01 is as interesting as 03 in twenty years’ time.

Here’s what I’ve tasted going back to the beginning of last year…

2001 Domaine Ponsot Clos de la Roche Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos de la Roche Grand Cru (1/27/2012)
Surprise of the tasting. Very intense, bright, red cherry fruit. Really great showing and drinking so well now.
2001 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (7/22/2011)
Drunk over 2 evenings. Black, with a hint of red fruit. Primary, precise, somewhat tart but deeply fruited on the palate. With more air, some fine but dry tannins clamped down on the back end. Needs another 5 years.
2001 Domaine Fourrier Griottes-Chambertin Vieille Vigne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Griottes-Chambertin Grand Cru (6/22/2011)
Bright, red fruited, hint of acetone on the nose. Put on weight and become quite meaty and darker fruited with time but then became lacy and delicate later still. Really lovely.
2001 Domaine Leroy Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (6/22/2011)
Precise, young, dry finish and quite herbaceous. Intensely sweet, red fruited palate. Not at all Leroy-like! Not as good as bottle we had last year which was like a baby leroy latricieres!
2001 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Musigny Cuvée Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Musigny Grand Cru (1/13/2011)
Absolutely perfect, regal, glossy palate. Gorgeous wine and very surprisingly open for business, though obviously with years ahead too.
Posted from CellarTracker

I’ve been a bit cautious about the vintage as I’ve had several wines show quite thin and hard. However, I did buy some of the de vogue musigny after tasting the bottle above. We’re opening a Jadot chambertin tomorrow night which should be another interesting data point.

It needs a good hour in a decanter to open up.

Not sure of the precise comments on this…but…some people have been very very highly touting the 2001s on this board…claiming it is “better” than '02, etc.

Of course, depending on the criteria, I do think some people have been saying it was as good as he has been saying they’ve been saying. [scratch.gif] …and, I think it’s a good vintage, but…not great by any criterion in my calculator. Some really good wines at the grand cru levels on the Cote de Nuits, for sure, but that happens in most decent vintages.

Admittedly, don’t have any recent experience; thinking about tasting it in barrel in '02 and later in bottle in the region…in '04…mainly.

Have many of them, so I hope they turn out well…and expect them to be, at least, good wines from a good vintage.

Had Mugnier, Rousseau, Engel, and Grivot in the last 4 months. All looked very nice.

The DRC RSV (part of a vertical) looked nice too.